1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

WooMe Attempts to Bring Speed Dating Online

By September 25, 2007

David Needle, in his Internet News article entitled, "Tech Conference Takes a Walk on the Wild Side", discusses upcoming business and website WooMe as an unusual take with regards to online dating services.

By taking the face-to-face speed dating concept and moving it online, CEO Steve Stokols plans to use WooMe as a multi-faceted way of connecting people from around the world for romance and friendship. Multi-media connectivity such as live audio and video are in the works cement the site together.

I am unsure as to how WooMe will differ from currently operating online dating sites (such as Lavalife) that already offer speed dating -like services with fully functional audio and video contact options. Others at the conference where WooMe was presented also had concerns with the idea such as one tech journalist by the name of Sarah Lacey who believes younger folks are no longer using online dating sites to meet people.

What do you think? Will speed dating sites take over the Internet, or are other dating methods taking the world by storm?

Comments
September 27, 2007 at 9:12 pm
(1) Ed Miller says:

Video dating will be big business, but sounds like WooMe is bringing a fresh model to the space. If WooMe can effectively move the speed dating concept online without killing the user experience, it will be successful. I’ll use it.

September 27, 2007 at 9:35 pm
(2) beckysills says:

WooMe’s success is dependent upon its adoption for other application beyond dating, I think. I like how the platform could be applied to other things like finding a roomate, hiring a babysitter, etc. Seems like the evolution of Craigslist, no?

September 27, 2007 at 9:40 pm
(3) Bonny says:

The comparison to Craigslist is apt, in my opinion. There are a great many features that would be interesting to see just how well they can integrate them into a space to meet people – and not just for dates.

September 28, 2007 at 5:04 pm
(4) Kiyasmom says:

I would have to agree with those who belief younger people have stopped using online dating services. Did they ever? With social sites like Myspace, Facebook, There, Livejournal and others, young people are finding love in all the wrong places. And none of those places include LavaLife and Match.com, never mind newcomers like WooMe. ;)

October 30, 2007 at 11:56 am
(5) George says:

We’ve made sure to provide a simple, high quality experience for people. We use in browser voice and video developed by a number of top ex-Adobe engineers. We’ve been testing with users for the last 4 months and think we’ve got a great experience.

If you want to check it out please sign up at http://www.woome.com

George
co-founder WooMe

January 20, 2008 at 4:52 pm
(6) Helen says:

I have to agree that WooMe, although beginning as a online dating site, can be revolutionized into a modern day Craig’s list, Yahoo Answers, anything really that fervent online users have to get answered immediately. WooMe seems to simply offer the tool with thousands of people all over the world can communicate with each other in a matter of seconds. It’s the next logical step. I’m excited to see where such social networking sites take us!

April 28, 2008 at 1:31 am
(7) BobM says:

I found WooMee to be different from others I have tried. I like itís design and features. No doubt this site will be one of the major players in online dating. Wish I thought of it! LOL Also saw the WooMe presentation – very cool, espacially like the fact that people are using the speed platform. Thats nice to see.