1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Poll Shows Favorite Cheap Date Ideas Among Singles

By January 19, 2009

In a recent online poll administered by SpeedDate.com, users were asked what kind of activity they preferred for a "frugal fling". The clear winner with almost half of the vote was romantic dinner for two at home amidst candlelight and good company (48.2%), with a scenic walk or historic tour coming in a distant second (19.2%). Rounding out the results were a trip to the museum on freebie days (17.3%) and dates that included some sort of sporting activity that didn't cost anyone a penny, such as playing frisbee (15.2%).

I've got a couple of cheap date ideas that I love, but I have yet to compile a list of free date ideas, which may be a good idea considering the current economy.

My favorite free date was something I've yet to find on any cheap date idea list: urban spelunking, which is essentially being a tourist in your own town, but instead of above ground, you explore underneath the city. Many larger cities have tunnels that connect larger administrative areas, of which some are free to the public and available to hike and explore at any time. Another variation on this theme was exploring the +15 in Calgary, Alberta when I lived there, which is a complex set of tunnels fifteen meters above ground that allow those working in the towers downtown to get from building to building without ever having to leave the snuggly warmth of the indoors.

Do you have a favorite cheap date idea? What was your favorite date that didn't cost anyone a dime? Would it matter to you if you went on a cheap date?

Related:

Comments
January 19, 2009 at 7:11 pm
(1) jenny says:

Awesome post. I agree – much more romantic to have dinner snuggling at home!

January 20, 2009 at 11:53 am
(2) Dave Williams says:

When I tried “Speed Dating”, I really had fun, but the whole thing was a little like a nervous boxing match(“Ding!”, next date!) for nerds.

January 20, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(3) jh says:

We really like to go on hikes, brainstorm at bookstores, have dinner at home and then go out for a drink and a game of pool, see a free movie at the library, play cards, take a bike ride, play basketball–anything cheap or free that will either get us out of the house and active or let us people gaze, dream together, or talk.

jh

January 23, 2009 at 1:15 pm
(4) AS says:

Nice Post…I agree with the dinner…thanks for the tips.

April 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm
(5) Stefan says:

Good post!
My favourite date idea is going to a park!

February 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm
(6) Andriette says:

We love a picnic in the back garden with lots of candles and finger-food. It is very romantic to look up at the stars with you loved one next to you on the grass feeding you yummy bites.