1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Are There Fake Members Over at Match.com?

By June 14, 2009

A former Match.com member is suing the dating site for allegedly filling its database with members who are no longer active, or members who were never members in the first place. Sean McGee, the man suing Match.com, says that each time a user is charged the monthly fee, it constitutes fraud - since the folks one is paying to contact aren't able to be contacted anyway. McGee hopes the case will become a class action lawsuit.

Match.com (Buy Direct) feels the case is unsubstantiated.

Have you been in contact with what you think is a fake profile on Match.com? If so, share your story.

More About Match.com: Match.com Profile, Match.com Dating Site Review, Mobile Match Review (Match.com's cellular dating service), Down To Earth Dating Site Review (Match.com's free dating site).

Source: Dallas Based Match.com Accused of Misleading Customers

Comments
June 17, 2009 at 9:07 pm
(1) David G. says:

If it’s anything like I’ve seen on Yahoo, it’s probably inundated with fake profiles, but they’re put up by foreign scam artists running Nigeria scams. It’s not necessarily endorsed by Match or Yahoo, but they do make money from the scammers’ subscription fees, so there’s not much incentive to crack down. He’ll have a tough time proving that Match is the one behind the fake profiles.

June 19, 2009 at 12:11 am
(2) Barrett says:

I’ve no doubt there are fake profiles on Match.com and other paid sites. They may not be all have active subscriptions but there is no way to think that paid sites don’t suffer from scammers like the Nigeria ones David mentioned. I’ve already run into tons of fake profiles, might make it a little easier to spot the fake ones.

June 25, 2009 at 1:59 pm
(3) kevin says:

I agree with the above comments also would like to add another litter scam match and i am pretty sure others do, when your subscription is about to end or has ended you all of a sudden get people wh are intrested in you and then whenyou pay for another month they dissapear. It has happened to me and having spoken to friends the same thing happen to them!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2011 at 3:28 am
(4) karen says:

I believe that there are fake profiles that are used to either entice you to join or as Kevin says to encourage you to re subscribe, this has happened to me several times, it took a while to catch on that this was happening, but it’s funny how these people who mail you never return your message if you do write to them – happens every time. I’ve also had the dodgy nigerians but they are easy to spot by thier strange use of the english language. PS i’m in the UK where Match is now owned by Meetic corp

June 25, 2009 at 2:12 pm
(5) Rachel says:

There seem to be too many dating sites out there with questionable practices. When I joined BabyBoomerPeopleMeet.com as a paying member I discovered that the 20+ messages that I supposedly had were made up of “flirts” and “bookmarks” and only one actual message. But, they also listed the flirts and bookmarks separately. So, it appeared I had over 40 guys interested in me. It’s deceptive and they should not be allowed to get away with it. Their online Customer Service would not give me a straight answer when I complained to them. What a scam! By the way, this dating site comes under the umbrella site of People Media where they have over 20 other dating sites with the same practice. Beware!!

June 25, 2009 at 3:38 pm
(6) Kathie says:

As a woman I’m certainly not happy with Match.com. I’ve paid my money, but apparently the men only submit profiles and never pay. So they can never contact me. I could contact them, but really what’s the point if they’re not serious, but are just lookers. The only email I’ve received IS from the Nigerians — funny that they spend the money hoping to make a lot more. Just like eHarmoney this was a waste of money.

June 25, 2009 at 6:01 pm
(7) Aliza G says:

I love how Match.com sends me daily matches and then when I go to click on some of them, it tells me that they are no longer members (gee, in just a day’s time?)or aren’t members anymore.
Pretty weird to me, is all I can say.

March 17, 2011 at 11:32 am
(8) grey8matterz says:

Aliza G, I think the profiles that go away by the next day belong to the scammers. I wasted four months of membership fees on Match.com , only to find out how many people are out there looking for vulnerable women. Also how many men think we are stupid enough to fall for that garbage..Now only use Match to seek out scammers and play with them. I like to get them to waste their time trying to get to fall in love with them. THere is one guy in particular who use the same guys photo on his fake profile. One of the names he uses is Gorden Harnnett. I had him hooked for a while, then told him I was in Haiti doing humaitarian work, and that I neeed him to send me money because I lost my passport and papers….He stopped typing back to me….I would not encourage anyone to use match.com. Save you money people, the whole thing is a scam.

June 25, 2009 at 6:29 pm
(9) Jeff says:

I’ve personally experienced the situation where, right before my subscription was about to expire, I received a deluge of emails from some of the most desireable women I’ve ever seen online. It only took one instance of renewing (and watching all of those beauties vaporize) to understand that I had been deceived.

Sure, it’s bad enough that there are webmasters who would conduct business this way, but they get a lot of assistance when it comes to making members feel scammed at a dating site.

People tend to communicate with each other in a way that is fundamentally twisted.

The fact is, even among all the legitimate members, you have many who sign up on a whim, then realize 3 days later, “Oops, I don’t think I really want to date online”, and then “cut and run”. They are just as “unavailable” as the phantom members.

Until that issue is solved, I’ll stick to “supermarket speed dating”. Ha!

June 25, 2009 at 8:16 pm
(10) LIFE459 says:

I actually spotted my boyfriend on the Match.com site! He had filled out a profile previously, never joined, but his profile was still being left on for women to check out. Needless to say, he has removed himself completely now. Also, I noticed that no matter how much time passed between checking the site, these men all had “Active in last 3 weeks” posted on their profile. What a joke!

June 25, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(11) Christie says:

My friends and I were just discussing that match.com has “fake” profiles. I noticed that around the time my subscription was coming close to expiring, I happen to receive quite a few e-mails. One “guy” e-mailed me the first two times my subscription was almost over. He claimed to have lived in the same city but couldn’t tell me anything specific. My friends think he is an employee of match.com and are there to reel women in. I am starting to believe it’s not worth my time or money.

June 25, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(12) EJGreen2003 says:

I paid for a 6 month subscription to Match.com and I was amazed at the amount of emails and flirts I received from Nigeria scammers. I have complained several times to Match.com–reporting the profiles that were only interested in getting my money. This is a HUGE problem–not only with Match.com, but with eHarmony, and Yahoo Personals.

I’m also not happy with Match.com’s “6 Month Guarantee.” They advertise that if you don’t find your perfect match within 6 months, they’ll renew you for another 8 month subscription at no additional charge. This is of course, that you follow their strict guidelines for sending a minimum amount of emails to other members each month, maintaining a complete profile (with picture), and leaving your profile visible every day for the full 6 month period.

There was a time when I met someone (not through Match.com) and I hid my profile from public view for a brief period of time. When I realized that this person and I weren’t meant for each other, I turned my Match profile back on but because I had it hidden for a few days, Match.com claims that I basically nullified their guarantee.

June 30, 2009 at 1:22 am
(13) Dick says:

I had a paid subscription to Match.com, but it expired about four months ago. I still receive a couple of emails from them each week indicating I have people wanting to contact me. They must still have my profile listed – what a scam!

July 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm
(14) lch says:

It’s true! I received a spam email from babyboomerpeoplemeet.com and it had my match.com username and password in it! Where is this person suing? I’m going to join up. I am filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and BBB against match.com for providing confidential information.

July 7, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(15) Dar says:

As I appear to be a a fraud victim, I would like to give an opinion. Three weeks before my subscription was to expire, I was persistently emailed by a “lady” that purported to be very interested in a relationship although she was just outside my requested range of acceptable distance. Over the three weeks she indicated that she was interested in initiating a relationship over the distance. I provided my phone number during the last week of my subscription and even had investigated the idea of meeting and paying for the separate rooms and other expenses. The day before my subscription expired, she said that she would call and watch for emails. After the subscription expired, I received no emails or even a phone call. What does that say? I think it is obvious.

July 9, 2009 at 3:51 am
(16) bernhard says:

talking about fake profiles to make people extend their subscription period.i opened my profile on match.com, just to see what’s out there. within two hours of posting my profile, i received a message. of course, i couldn’t read it… hadn’t subscribed (in other words… PAID FOR IT!!!)… i was quite excited, so i paid £ 22 for a months subscription. nothing really happened over the next three weeks, so i decided not to waste any more money on it. and when you cancel they actually ask you why. not enough responses was my reason. as soon as i discontinued my membership, winks and emails came flying in. i think about ten in one week. that’s about 8 more than the three weeks before. and then, yesterday evening, after 742 hours of disappointment and two hours before my paying membership ended, i got an email from the most gorgeous person ever. the profile picture was very professionally made and could have been from the cover of any highgloss magazine. way out of my league. conveniently matched all the boxes on my profile. the profile text would have melt an iceblock. even with some strategically placed spelling mistakes, which, by the way, made it even more unbelievable, due to the fact that this persons profession was teacher. isn’t that a bit too much of a coincidence??? well, i stick with facebook.com. there is an app called “are you interested”. it’s free, you can send as many messages as you like and it’s real people, definitely….!!!!!

July 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm
(17) Sue More says:

Besides the “fake” member problem there is a more widespread one that is just as bad. They do not delete any profile!
I met my husband on Match.com and we have been together almost 3 years. Soon after we met we both asked them to remove our profiles.
As of today they still have not done it. The profiles show us as “active more than 3 weeks ago” – which may be true. However, I am sure that paying members would like to know that the correct period is more like 3 years!
Last week they suddenly started to send us emails again with potential mates and invitations to email them.

July 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(18) Lisa says:

I have also experienced the fake profile. The man’s picture on display I came to find out was not the man I was communicating with. How do they find these pictures and does the “real” person know they are on display. I would really like this poor person know his face is out there without his knowledge….Thoughts

August 10, 2009 at 4:12 pm
(19) Charlie says:

My boyfriends was on Match.com while we were broken up. A friend of mine joined and she told me his profile was on even after we had been back together for months. I confronted him and he told me he had inactivated it, he did not know why it was still visible. Our relationship was pretty fragile and I noticed when he was looking at messages on his phone, that there would be some messages from girls at Match.com who were intersted. Of course, I’m thinking he is still on the site and is cheating on me. That site should be sued for potentially ruing relationships

November 3, 2009 at 3:29 am
(20) Anthony says:

This is very true! Match.com is a scam. It is loaded with fake profiles and I have yet to find someone who is real from the people I find attractive. My searches only bring up matches that don’t even come close to what I am interested. I am extremely disappointed! Glad someone stepped up and made a claim.

November 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm
(21) K B says:

Greetings,

In an effort to keep this communication brief and to the point, I met ‘someone’ on an internet dating site who used the photos below to represent his self. Although I was suspicious, I continued communication with him via phone. We did not have the opportunity to meet, because according to him, he was scheduled to leave the county within a few days of us communicating because of a business deal in Nigeria. Within two months into a phone-only conversation he asked me to send him $17,000 to purchase a certificate (for security purposes) so that he could receive the proceeds of his business deal, which was due to yield $800,000. Needless to say, this confirmed my suspicions that he was a fraud.
Below are all the email communications I have received and the statistics he used.

Name: Andrew Jude Beckson
Age: 46
Height: 6 ft
Status: Never married, no children
Education: Ph.D. in Business Management
Salary range: $100,000 – $150,000
Residence: Franklin, Georgia
Birthplace: Malaysia (Father black from England, mother from Malaysia – parents married over 40 years)
Church affiliation: Good News, http://www.goodnews.or.kr
Phone numbers: 678-389-9619, 0112348021196560, 011233543889100, 01123414097120
Email: strongbeck@gmail.com
Other site he is on: http://www.adventistmatch.com/profile_frame_nm.asp?username=choosenheart

Profile posted in http://www.match.com
maximumsoul1234

46, Franklin, GA
Seeking Female 40-60 I need a Bride..
I am very simple and easygoing..I am easy on the eye and easy to associate with,I dont get upset easily and it takes little to make me smile..I love watching Movies and going to the Beach,so all i am looking for is someone that will come with me to the Beach..Lol…I dont know how to swim and i pray i find someone that will teach me how to swim,But its not compulsory you must be a swimmer before you can get yourself talking to me…Money is nothing but something that will all pass away at the end of the world,So why destroy a fellow human because of Vanity..Money comes and Go,But what matters more to me is Taking Care of Your loved ones and Family..Am happy being an Accountant But it will Fun having someone to think and Grow with you..I know My Queen is 100% Out There and Am gonna Find Her Know Matter How Far Away She Lives From me..Smile I am simply Looking for someone that will cook with me Cos i love to Cook and Eat…I hope that wont be a Problem,Cos i could eat 7 plates of food in a whole day….Lol…I will be in the Kitchen around 3;15am cooking instead of Sleeping…Lol…I just want a best friend,someone that understands that all it takes in this world is for two people to understand each other deep and all other things will work perfectly..I am in search of a woman that will spend the rest of her Life with me,Cos i am not getting any Younger and its tyme i settle down with One Queen…I know my Queen is Out there and God will send her to me..I want To Hold My Queen With My Strong Arms and Make Her Feel Safe and Secured..

January 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(22) Don says:

I must have made someone mad on match. Someone took the same pics from my profile and created a fake profile – which caused a beautiful woman to claim I was a fake and break our date (sorry Jennifer in SF I really wanted to meet you). I can’t imagine what I did to make someone take that much vengeance. Match had a human review every profile pic, yet they allow the same pics on 2 (or more) profiles. How can someone do that, isn’t there a way to check the pics for repeats?

January 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm
(23) Steve says:

I am certain that Match have a policy of using their own fake profiles to lure people into paying a fee. I visited their website yesterday and found an incredibly well written profile on a very pretty prefect girl who supposedly lives less than a mile from me. The same girl that was on the site last time I was single a few years ago. The profile was now saying that as her sister had found her dream man on match she thought she’d give it a go. Well if she is real, she’s been giving it a go for a few years now. Not just giving it a go now.
3 years ago this girl did not respond to winks, messages or anything, which you would have thought she might as I was so local.
No, match are definitely defrauding people in my view.
Someone should investigate them and audit their books to see who is real and who has been hired from an agency.

February 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm
(24) Simba says:

I think even if u haven’t been active for a few months, it always displays ” over 3 weeks”
has anyone found one that states longer than that? For instance, over two months, something like that?
I think the three week thing can mean that and well over that.

March 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm
(25) Carol D says:

Match.com sends out fake winks and emails to entice subscrubers. When they have a “Free” day or your subscription runs out they send you an email with an unbelievable match which disappears when you sign up. Dont use this site they are scammers.

May 2, 2010 at 6:32 am
(26) Harry Davidson says:

It no longer seems to be possible to remove your profile from match.com. The methods given on other sites no longer work, i.e. there is now no longer any “Cancel” under “My Account”.

The worst for scamming is datetheuk.co.uk . I set up a minimal profile saying nothing at all about myself so that I could search and see if it was joining. I regularly get emails from women quite a lot younger than me. I now have two (UK) ladies aged 27 emailing me and wanting to talk. I am 56. Do me a favour. Just possibly if I had a photo that looked like a film star, plus loads of moolah, but no photo, no info. Rip off.

May 6, 2010 at 6:18 am
(27) Tom says:

Wow, I wish I saw this months ago. So now I know. If anyone winks at you, then they are fakes if they have not viewed your profile. Now assuming that this rule holds, I had a genuine wink from a Venezuelan girl, followed by 3 fake winks from a Swedish, Filipino and a Canadian girl at roughly the same time. (I have also been tricked by a Nigeria scammer who did exactly the same thing, a wink and no view)

Anyway I really wish I didn’t spend so much time corresponding with the Swedish girl. Her story was very convincing but meant passing up on the real girl. I was being spammed by match.com and ironically inhibited from finding a true match.

I would like to contribute one tool to anyone trying to detect if their correspondence is genuine, if you leave your email and they reply using their own then they are real. Of course Match.com try to prevent this and in some guidelines they even say it is dangerous to do so as it can lead to stalking (It really doesn’t), in fact Match don’t want you to find a match, they just want to retain your patronage to their site and keep you hanging you on with brief correspondences with overseas fakes.

My disillusionment came when I got a wink from an Asian girl after my subscription expired. Oh how naive I was, I winked at her and when I subscribed again, profile gone! They sacrificed the fake profile to avoid actual interaction. However in her profile she liked wine tasting but didn’t drink alcohol – what is the likelihood of that anyway?

May 8, 2010 at 2:15 am
(28) Scott says:

I found it suspicious that close to my renewal date, I’d always get a really interesting letter from a super hot girl, who’d fizzle immediately after I renewed. I finally figured out the second time, that this is the hook that match gets you with. They have your preferences, so they just send the bait so you’ll renew.

May 11, 2010 at 11:33 am
(29) Kara says:

Okay…I read all the comments. I agree there are fake profiles on Match and such. A bit ago, I joined Match after my divorce, I actually had about 55 dates locally in a little over a year. Dates with actual, real men. Truly, all were interesting and good guys. I am attractive with a real life (not model material) and as unpopular as this may sound, I believe that most men on there need to not look at online dating as a smorgasbord of hot women, and truly look for that ONE person who has a great heart and a good life (like me!)
p.s. I avoided the fakeys, looked for the red flags and dated within my locale/age range and did not entertain anything less that acceptable (to me).

April 10, 2011 at 6:34 pm
(30) Annie says:

How long have you worked for Match.com, Kara, darling?

May 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm
(31) kristen says:

How do nigerians scam you on this site? how do they go after your money like some of you are claiming?

June 1, 2010 at 6:24 pm
(32) David says:

Non-paying members cannot respond to emails, but this policy is not clearly stated nor is there anything (obvious) in their profiles that indicates whether or not they are paying members. The implication of all these profiles is that if you pay money you can communicate with these members, but the reality is that you can only do so if they are ALSO members. Which is highly, highly deceptive.

I’ve just recently asked Match.com for a refund, and if (as I expect) they refuse then my next step is Attorney General of New York.

June 7, 2010 at 8:40 pm
(33) Vhy says:

It seems these are the set “active” categories:
Online now
Active w/in 24 hours
Active w/in 3 days
Active w/in one week
Active w/in two weeks
Active over three weeks- this means 3 weeks and way beyond( months, years)

so, for instance, the 24 hour status will switch to 3 days if it’s been Over 48 hours. But will state 24 hours up until the third day. If that makes any sense.

June 26, 2010 at 11:54 am
(34) alina says:

Oh yes there are so many fake I can give you 2 ids who belong to the same person armand1333 and armandexplorer from maryland…. He is not the age he should be and he pretend to be someone he is not…. He has a wonderful girlfriend who is supposed to care for…. So yes any one can open a match,com account as long as you pay then, they dont care about anything else

July 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm
(35) Alex says:

OK, I read all the previous reviews last week and signed up to Match.com. You guys are absolutely right, here is the breakdown from the minute I signed up:

* 24 hours – 2 winks (picture not posted yet)
* 72 hours – 3 email & 6 winks (picture posted)
* 7 days – 6 emails & 10 winks

I couldn’t check the emails, but I could see the winks, most girls are at least 10 years younger and live in other states.

8 of the 10 profiles that sent me winks “could not be found anymore”! I’m pretty sure the 6 emails are scams from fake profiles too.

This site and others like it should be investigated for fraud and brought down.

July 26, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(36) Bex says:

Yahoo offered a free 4 day trial, but I Googled a bit and found a link for a 7 day trial.

After signing up I got quite a few winks and emails, and one guy in particular caught my eye, so I winked back. He then messaged me, and we continued to message each other back and forth over the course of 5 days, then suddenly the messages from him stopped.

I had thought about renewing my membership after the free trial, mainly because there were others I was still interested in contacting, him especially, and also another guy who was emailing me.

I signed up for 1 month subscription at a discounted rate–I emailed the other guy and we exchanged a few messages, then guess what suddenly he stopped responding too. And over 3 weeks no email from the other guy.

Like a girl I assumed it was me, but then I said that’s impossible because the email exchanges were lite, small talk no real specifics.

Oh and interestingly enough today I got two winks from pretty decent looking guys which neither of them viewed my profile, yet sent me winks.LOL When I went to view both of their profiles I got an error “saying the profile could not be found” this is when I’m logged in, yet when I log out and click on the link there profile pops up.

It’s truly sad that a company can toy with people emotions, especially people who are lonely and just looking to meet someone.

I only hope Karma serves it’s purpose!

August 13, 2010 at 9:51 am
(37) Arista says:

Match.com is a nightmare. I keep getting ‘winks’ and emails that I cannot read because I am not subscribed. And now, I apparently cannot remove my profile. Why are they still using my profile knowing guys can never get through to me anyway?

Also, I have a friend who is bisexual but when he first signed up, he set his searches to only look for ‘women’. At that time, he was more interested in women (so he claimed). After a few years, with not much success on Match.com, he decided to expand his search to include ‘men’ but couldn’t! He phoned up Match.com who promptly told him he needed to set up another profile/account to search for men. That means he needs to pay and maintain TWO accounts just to search for both men and women!

WHAT A RIP-OFF!

August 19, 2010 at 7:26 am
(38) Matt says:

Unbelieveable!! I’ve been well and truly had by the look of it!
I had realised that the overseas winks and emails must of been fakes as i noticed there was no view of my profile recorded, BUT

The ‘daily 5′ matches got me. Some i could see were real profiles and showed up if i done a search, but some did not show up whatever search i tried – i think these are very old accounts that are deactivated, and then used by Match to lure you into subscribing and sending email.

I had a few days as a free trial, and just before my time was up, this awesome girl pops up, not far from where i live, seems cool, very well written profile – that i’m sure is too well written for a spammer, active within 24 hours….. So i added to my favourites, then when my trial had run out, the girl dissapeared, i was so annoyed!! Couldn’t find her in a search, so, i subscribed for 1 month! Sucked in!! Found her from the recorded wink i sent, clicked on her profile and got the old, sorry we couldn’t find this blah blah blah ….!!
The interesting bit though, i clicked on the link below her picture ‘find more like her’ – and you’ll never guess what, there she was again! Same pic, but cropped differently, different username, different location, hardly anything written about her….. I’m still not sure what to make of it tbh, was she real and deactivated her account that day, then i just happened to see a spammers profile with her pic? Or was the profile a fake sent to me through Match to lure me into subsciption??

I think there are ALOT of fakes on the site, for all different reasons. Sooo wrong, not sure what i’m going to do about it yet, but this was a good start finding out more..

September 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm
(39) Lagar says:

After reading a lot of this stuff and reading the website that tries to show you what a fake profile looks like, I did an experiment- I looked at a lot of profiles to see if the website was correct (for example: fake profiles only have 1 pic, and use horrible grammar, and don’t talk much), but none of these were correct. Alot of the FAKE profiles I’ve seen (I’d say almost all of 153 matches in a 500 mile radius of where I live) had more than 1 pic AND had a lot of content filled in. One fake profile I saw did match this website that teaches you how to spot fake profiles in that the height of man she wanted was as short as 3’1″ and as tall as 8’11″. What real, hot girl would settle for a 3’1″ midget, tell me that?!?
2nd experiment: I hypothesized that the NON-FAKE profiles were the ones that were “Online Now” or “IM Me Now” profiles. This hypothesis was incorrect: I tried IM’ing several ladies with nothing more than a simple: “Hello, how are you?” or “Hello, where are you from?” (I’m not that ugly either) and I did not receive a response from ANY of these ladies. Not even a simple: “I’m fine, but go away.”. Surely, a REAL girl who joined and paid for this match.com service would at least REPLY to a simple IM. Case proven: even the “Online Now” or “IM Me Nows” are F-A-K-E, FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
(which is extremely frusterating).

October 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(40) Dan says:

Okay…So I’m also convinced that there are fake profiles on Match.com to lure you in, but there are also some real people out there. I haven’t figured out how to tell the difference up front, but I know if they email me or wink at me and their profile is no longer available by the evening, they were probably not real. The real ones will still be there, they will respond to your questions, they will ask you questions, etc.

October 18, 2010 at 12:56 am
(41) Josh says:

98% or more of the winks I get on match.com are fake.

I receive a fake wink about every other day.

There have been so many I gave up notifying match.com about them, and just simply delete them at the slightest whiff of fakery. Or rather, dont delete them at the slightest whiff of authenticity.

Why doesn’t match.com indicate new member status? Fake profiles would be easier to identify. Maybe match.com doesnt want that.

With all the money match.com must be making, why cant they develop technology to help *them* locate fake profiles in the same way that tools recognize spam emails?

To add insult to injury, they re-bill you without any notice that membership is expiring and your account is about to be charged again.

match.com is perhaps not a scam, but in my opinion it stinks. I have had a far better experience with another commercial dating site.

October 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(42) Lexi says:

Well, Match.com is smarter then we all think. First and formost it is a for profit business. Technically they don’t have false profiles up nor do they hire employees to be fraud daters ( keep in mind that if you do not remove or hide your profile they leave it viewable and searchable for ever) but they do have code written that scores user profiles and targets specific users based on personal data obtained when an individual created a profile and entered their credit card information. Here is something to think about: when you signed up for your credit card did you use your SS #? Match just part of a larger corporate structure and combined they have the ability to search all or your personal information from your sign up and declaration you agreed to when you created your profile. They have your address, age, credit card, marriage status, kids and many other tidbits of info. Did you notice any differences in your mailbox after you created a profile, did you notice any more spams in you inbox, how about spams to your social networking sites or business networking sites. If someone asked for your detailed personal information to us as a marketing tool would you hand it over? Thats what you are giving match.

December 7, 2010 at 9:57 am
(43) BB says:

I’ve been on Match off and on for years. I’ve met some good guys and had a few longer relationships. I’ve also received winks and emails from obvious scammers, the first of whom I thought was real until he asked for money. Since then, I have been very suspicious of anyone who contacts me with a long email telling me how perfect I am for him (with lots of grammatical errors), men who wink from other states (often with glamor shot photos that don’t match their age), and men who don’t have phone numbers in my city. I was unaware, until reading some of the comments here, that match.com posts fake profiles as well. I will suggest that if you are off match.com, you can hide your profile so that no one can view it. At least, when I have done so, the profile is absent from searches and (hopefully) will not show up in people’s mailboxes.

December 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(44) Phil says:

I have experienced the same thing with Match. I had a 3 month subscription that just expired. All the sudden I have been favorited and received a wink. This pattern has occured several times over the past 2 years. I sign up, get no response, then after subcription expires… I’m favorited, winked and emailed.

December 15, 2010 at 3:34 am
(45) Anon says:

Match.com scammers etc.

Steven Keith Nobles (aka’s Nathan, Nate, Keith, Steve)
woodburn Oregon
503-951-4120

working with a Sorenson Relay phone, is disabled in a wheel chair and using a sign language interpretor and system regulated by the FCC – Purple Relay phone service as well.

Scams MEN AND WOMEN

Uses the names:
Tarshelle Janet Gibson
Denise Murrell
Nathan George Smith
Annie Carruthers

snate111
snate112

Works with people in various states to accept or collect Western Union funds.

Asks you to send money to

200 Tout Street Woodburn oregon when in fact his adress is really *** Tout Street

Has forged an Oregon Driver’s license with the name of Tarshelle Gibson.

I believe this a growing VIRTUAL PROSTITUTION RING!

SCAMMERS!!

December 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm
(46) Anon says:

What about this…

19 Reports against him

Same person as Nathan Smith, George Smith, George Nathan Smith, Stven Nobels, Gregory Mahone, Greg Mahone, Steven K. Nobles, keith Nobles, Nate Smith

snate112 User ID yahoo

(Terry is supposedly his son)

WHAT IS OUR GOVERNMENT DOING???? NOTHING!!!!

January 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm
(47) alex says:

match.com is a fake I create premium or star accounts and I start to send messages between the accounts and nothing some messages (1/10) came later after 2 months the support center sucks and the personal cause suddenly came email with prohibitions about stuff that you even have in the profile or photos, like they return my photos for reason they say in the photo are children below 18 and in the photo is only me with my car in the garage and I’m 27 years old and the photos are same like others, I ran a survey and many people say and I say the profiles are fakes because the names of profiles they are in English and the name of profile are words randomly and the profile always say 25 to 45 years and everything else like description is empty and always this kind of profile appear when real users stay offline a while.

January 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm
(48) pete says:

match.com is full of SCAMS and false women just like the whole of this FALSE world

January 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm
(49) Lauren Anderson says:

I’ve been scammed by match as well. They stole money out of my account and refuse to give it back to me. I had cancelled my account and later on after it was supposedly over I kept getting emails. I went into my bank account and my match account and found it reinstated. Match.com reinstated my account and took my out of my bank account without my consent. I’ve decided to now be a voice for all those people who were scammed. I will be going to the authorities and the newspapers about this. Also I have a petition on facebook called Petition against Match.com (It is a scam). So please sign it so that we can bring this site down as well as those behind the scam. Thank you.

January 30, 2011 at 3:46 am
(50) Daisy Macintosh says:

I tried a match.com free trial and I noticed over 50 winks at the start. I WAS able to converse with 3 or more of them, so at least a few of the contacts were genuine, if you’re a young 20-something average looking female. I was surprised too because someone who looks average or even plain doesn’t get this kind of attention in real life.

I didn’t suspect anything awry except just before my trial expired, when someone used their priority contact (forget what it’s called – basically you get one “special” contact a month to someone you really like) to send me a message. This guy was hot, had a full profile, etc. He wrote a warm but generic message. I emailed him back but I never got a response. Now what is the likelihood that someone would use their one priority slot to contact me out of dozens of other people, JUST BEFORE my trial expired, but not respond to an email? It just seemed off.

Anyway, I ditched the service before the trial expired.

Now I’m starting to think that online dating is asking for trouble. First, 60% of a relationship is body language and interaction – words don’t always cut it. And what if a guy doesn’t like someone because of the shape of their nose or forehead or thighs? It’s hard to know everything about a person from a flat photograph. Second, people can and do lie about anything on a profile. There seems to be a big problem with men (no offense) who trim years from their age or people who use younger photos. Third, who wants to pay $30 a month or more for the privilege of reading messages from bots and spammers?

Just go to groups that share your interests and try to meet people. Of course you may not want to take my advice, I’ve been single for years…

January 30, 2011 at 3:59 am
(51) is it reasonable? says:

Let’s look at the logic of this situation.

You are paying over $30 a month to do the following:

1. talk to bots
2. talk to spammers
3. talk to fake profiles
3. talk to Nigerian scams
4. and most likely of all, talk to people that are not members of match, thus they cannot hear the sweet tender nothings that you send to them over cyberspace.

Can you see the logic of this situation? Nobody in the world would pay to do it with those stats. More people probably join match to browse than to subscribe. And those who do subscribe probably only do so for a few months, then they ditch the service in disappointment – BUT their profile stays up. So probably half of the people you see on the site (not counting fakes) are probably not even available to contact you. Surely the success rate of going to a bar or speed dating is higher than online dating.

February 1, 2011 at 11:33 am
(52) DatingNOmore says:

Match is full of scumlords and weirdos.

One guy I went out with proclaimed with a smile on his face during our dinner that he is a recovering meth addict.

Had a great job, well off…confused the heck out of me.

I also noticed that after a few weeks if you complain or report to match how the site is like plenty of fish except paid based on the numerous and obvious FAKE profile contacts sent to me, they stop sending you ANY emails. I was averaging 20-25 emails each day. After I reported several obvious scam/fake profiles and told them the site is becoming worse than Plenty of Fish except that we were paying to be dry humped, my emails from men CEASED. COMPLETELY.

Good friend is a lawyer. Checking into it for me.

Match and EH are BOTH scams

February 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(53) EJ says:

I’ve used Match a few different times in my life and absolutely have met real people in real life and gone on real dates. Fake profiles are fairly easy to spot if you use common sense. Likewise, as someone mentioned, you can tell if a Wink is legit if the person has actually viewed your profile. I agree that the fact that they leave up inactive profiles is frustrating but an easy way to solve that is to never email anyone who hasn’t logged in recently. Match has to have some success from their site or they would go out of business. I’m sure they employ a fair number of marketing tricks, like any personals site, but overall they are no better or no worse than any other online socializing site out there. If there is no picture, don’t email. If the profile sounds generic, don’t email. If they haven’t been active in this century, don’t email. If the picture used looks like it came out of a catalog, it probably did. Email people that sound normal and reasonable and if you don’t get a response, it’s likely because they aren’t interested in you – not because they are “fake.” Online dating is brutal, no matter which site you use you are unlikely to get many responses back. Not because these sites are scams, but because people who date online are often flaky. Sad, but so true. How do I know online dating is generally legit? I met my last boyfriend online and three of my best friends married people they met on dating sites.

November 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm
(54) Carl M says:

Thanks for this…your tip about “legit winks” and how they are only real when they have viewed you. This answers my post below as I was questioning the authenticity of winks when these girls were just disappearing within 24 hrs with an unavailable profile. I agree 100% with your take on online dating.

February 6, 2011 at 6:35 am
(55) TheEnquirer says:

@DatingNOmore; Did the recovering meth addict guy you dated have messed up teeth ?

February 6, 2011 at 9:19 am
(56) watchout for autosign in - "online now" says:

Very interesting comments. The default is “auto sign in” when you sign up. I have found that means that even if you just click into an email from a match.com person that it diplays your status as “online now” for up to several hours! You don’t have to open the match.com site for this status to be changed. And so the cycle of updating “active” status referenced above begins all over again w/o even actively accessing the site.

March 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm
(57) JS says:

Is there a running list somewhere of fake profiles on Match.com?

March 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(58) Luke says:

I’ll refer to EJ’s comment. No complaints with Match.com. Overall very satisfied, and I have met a lot of women. It does seem a bit strange to get winks for good looking women after you let your subscription run out, but I won’t hold that trick against Match.com.

March 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm
(59) Luke says:

A follow up on my previous post. I have now received two winks from beauties in just in one day. It’s obvious these winks are fake, and Match.com is trying to get me to renew.

April 11, 2011 at 3:03 am
(60) Kinsley says:

As of right now I have been “ONLINE NOW” on Match for nearly 12 hours. I do not have the phone app, I specifically unclicked “auto log-in” and even clicked “sign out” after my last session.

I have another computer in the house and logged onto an account I have simply for browsing without having to be logged into my actual account–low and behold…it still says my actual account is logged in!

On another note about 3 weeks ago I cancelled my subscription and removed my profile completely. I was home sick this week and decided I’d put it back up and browse since I had paid for the next 2 months anyway…well wouldn’t you know, I didn’t login from Friday morning til Sunday afternoon and VOILA: 33 notifications…mostly winks…from people in my area!!! Out of nowhere I have 33 winks/emails?! UM, I don’t think so, something is definitely shady….

August 10, 2011 at 1:54 am
(61) Honeyraiha says:

I am disappointed with match.com and i will never ever use this dating site anymore.I’ve been scam last week but lucky no money involved.I thought the guy was real as his photo and in webcam is same person. and his profile was not suspicious at all. But just one day it happen that somebody pretend to be his mother lying to me about something and i am very doubt of this.And when I check on internet there are other person who was scam by the same person as mine. Those who are still use match.com please becareful of this person.doesn’t mean they have webcam they did not fake. They are very clever!

August 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm
(62) Russ Arcand says:

I was on Match .com and found a profile of a friend of mine on the other side of town.I printed it and asked her myself if she was happy about her matches. She read it and told me she was never with Match.com but that her photo was taken from FACEBOOK and profile was all BS. Found another friend on there too but havn’t confirmed it yet. DON’T WASTE A DIME ON MATCH.COM

November 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm
(63) Carl M says:

3 out of my last 4 winks (girls that have actually WINKED me) were decent looking females. Suddenly, their profiles are “oops, unavailable” according to match within 24 hours.

Really? C’mon match.com, If I can’t communicate with these girls, then something is definitely fishy here. Stop throwing me a line without bait and quit the teasing to get members to renew.

CmAcKeD is my username – REAL members feel free to look up

December 13, 2011 at 1:06 am
(64) JM says:

If you want to know if you are dealing with a fraudulent profile there is a simple way. Create your own fraudulent profile and send interest to the suspect profile. If interest is returned you have confirmed the profile as a fraud. You will know your “winks” are legitimate if the only profile receiving winks back is your original. If both were winked back it is likely a fake trying to lure both into a subscription.

December 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(65) Kate says:

Stay away from Adventistmatch.com!!! They steal users’ money!!! They use practice of automatical renewal as a way to charge you twice! They promise to make a refund but in reality they will charge you twice! If you, by chance, forgot about your first profile and open another one, they will withdraw money twice from your previous account and then they cancel both profiles! They send a lot of e-mails like they try to explain to you “your charges and refunds” and how you are stupid, but it is zero explanations and does not solve your problem. You are charged TWICE and your profile is cancelled!
Awful service and awful rude workers are there! The site is full of spammers and the owners of the site are real cheaters! They are not Adventists at all, I guess. I am an Adventist and I am completely disappointed by this site and people working there. Shame to the site!!!
For whole week they were bombing me by their abusing letters every day, one man even called me with the same mockery and threats! I got a pile of letters from the site. They sent me 4 letters even on Weekend!!! It was a few days before Christmas Time! This was “so great” to lift your spirit up before New Year!
They are rude, bold, impudent and try to INTIMIDATE users! Finally, I called to PayPal who are mediators of the payment. These people very quickly realized and confirmed my double payment-charge and promised me to return my money!
The site also is full of spammers and not alive at all.
Stay AWAY!

December 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm
(66) Liz says:

I have been on match about 6 days and almost everyone I have chatted with are all fakes. This is the pattern: Most of them at Widowers, they are really really loving and good men and charish the floor woman walk on. They usually have one kid. They cannot write English well at all. Right away they want your yahoo.com email. Most of them have elaborate jobs like Medical Doctors for the United Nations. Oh and they are thier pictures are of models super gorgeos. I saw a picture of this really gorgeous man without a shirt, great body, young (about 27) and he was a poor Widower. It’s rediculous. I called match and the representative told me that there is a lot of men like that from overseas that try to con women for money. She told me to be careful. It is sad and it pisses me off. I only joined for 3 months, but I think I am going to cancel before. Does anyone recommend any other good website?

January 3, 2012 at 6:47 am
(67) Lee says:

I have the same problem with match.com. I have used them three times and have only actually met one woman. She is great and though it did not work out we are still friends. BUT Only one. I have sent hundreds of messages. I am not Gods gift to women, I am very much aware of that! But come on, I am a decent enough guy with a serious profile that I spent a lot of time on with a dozen pictures, and only ONE woman out of a hundred or more I messaged would respond? On top of that, maybe 7 viewed my profile??? Those were probably the only 7 who were real.

For a while I was shocked that I never realized how pathetic I was, but I asked several women I know their opinion of my profile and they told me I should be getting responses to at least half of my attempts. (Good news is that I was introduced to a few of their friends via the old fashioned way)

I also responded to people who winked at me and never got a response back and noticed they never actually viewed my profile.

I will NEVER join a dating service on the internet again.

February 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(68) Chris says:

I’d like to know how to become part of the class action suit. I’ve sent over 200 emails and only met or received responses from about 3 or 4 legitimate people.

Please send me more information on this lawsuit. Thanks.

February 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
(69) BananaBread says:

Do you know how I can spot the real members? The ones who doesn’t respond back to me hahahaha.
But seriously, I just joined Match.com for about 3 days and I’ve received dozens of fake winks and emails who wanted me to send them emails through their hotmail account. And then their account gets deleted few hours later.

March 3, 2012 at 1:57 am
(70) Michele says:

Oh, I so wish I would have found this website BEFORE I shelled out $35 for a month. I have had 4 guys “wink” and send emails/IM’s. The first one-David- stated he grew up in England but barely had a grip on the english language. By the 3rd email, he was signing off “your prince charming”. The second one , who’s name I can’t remember, was 3 1/2 hours outside of my zip code-when I told him no thanks, he persisted that for true love, he could relocate. The third one-Ronald -would also not take no for an answer, spouting the sam b.s -”Distance doesnt matters when seeking true love..f you are interested write me back and we could talk more and get to know each other better….” (cut and pasted from his email). Well, by now I’ve got a pretty good idea what’s going on, so when the fourth one winked at me, I went off. All 4 had some pretty serious inaccuracies between what they were writing and what was in their profile. One went from having a daughter (in his profile) to having a son( in his IM chat)! And he didn’t know that the city he said he lived in was in the thumb of Michigan.Neat trick…
Mar 03 12:15 AM
b*****endrik:what exactly kind of man do intrest you?
Mar 03 12:17 AM
b******endrik:
Michele :so I’m curious…do you guys have like a group or something. THIRD match.com member to ask me the exact same thing, all foreign, all very handsome. I am far from stupid and have a brother in law and a long time friend, both in law-enforcment. Not exactly sure WHAT you are looking for, so why don’t you tell me
Mar 03 12:25 AM
b******endrik:we are not same and i don’t like it when people compare me with others
Mar 03 12:25 AM
Michele :that’s good, i don’t like to be targeted
Mar 03 12:27 AM
b*******endrik:please i hate that,i am just teeling you my mind,that’s what i am saying you are the second woman who got me angry that i have to delete the other one because you don’t use your past and hurt others happiness and it does happen to everybody to have a past

March 4, 2012 at 2:18 am
(71) Amy says:

Thanks from all of you for the excellent comments. This is better than a paid dating site and it is so nice to hear about these things from real people!

Looking for love is an emotional thing, and people that play on your emotions online are everywhere. I’ve had a lot of experience with it. I’d used match and other social networking on and off for years, because I often lived in places that were remote, where I knew no one, due to my work. Many profiles were fake, many interactions misleading and false – there are those that just have fake online relationships that will go nowhere. Many of them are married. I also experienced the winks and emails when it was time to resubscribe..

I did meet some real people; some real people were interested and some were not, but it was discouraging (hopes up and let down) much of the time. Some of this is a reflection on dating in our world today and more a symptom of society.

There are so many of us single people out there, many people looking for love. Yet so many are unwilling to accept less than perfect, are unwilling to get to meet the real people on their merits.

March 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(72) Scott says:

I think he has a case but won’t be able to prove it. I believe Match has some kind of advertisement contract with Facebook which allows them to use peoples photos and create fake accounts. Some Match accounts have 20+ photos of the person, now could some people want to post this many photos for a dating site I guess the answer could be yes. But really why would someone want that many photos of them on a dating site. I’ve sent out about 40 emails in one month to different women and haven’t had one single response and only 2 actually viewed my profile. Now maybe I just have a bad profile but if you consider where Match makes all their money which is from people that subscribe I think this is strange.

March 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(73) redvelvetime says:

watch out for a German man with a little girl, that goes over seas for his construction business he owns. Puta up a nice picture, makes you think you meet your dream man. Says he is from Edmond. The little girls mother dies in a car wreak, Then They get robbed. Then he wants you to send some money.

March 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm
(74) mahjong gratuit en ligne says:

This paragraph is in fact a nice one it assists new web users, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

March 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm
(75) DPC says:

I signed up with Match.com and recently received a wink and 2 e-mails.

I was going to sign up, but then I did a web search.

If this company is using fake emails and fake winks to encourage people to sign up, this is misadvertisement, misrepresentation, is certainly unethical and immoral, if not illegal… and should be illegal since what they are doing constitutes something we call “fraud”.

If post #44 is correct, then there is a real issue present.

As for post #71, I agree with you 100%.

I might go out tonight after all.

April 2, 2012 at 2:27 am
(76) krok says:

Ive been on match for a while and thought i would be aggressive so i picked 100 women i considered within what i liked or found attractive. Now i read where some lady was mad about how guys pick hotties but what are we suppose to pic elephants and lepers?? We all pick what we are attracted to, so sorry if your offended its not about that its about finding your mate. Attraction plays a big part in that but i will agree it has to be within reason. So out of my list of 100 more than half were what i would consider so so or diamonds in the rough. So while there were some hotties there were more plain janes and common looking women. I received 1 reply and 1 not interested. Good or bad you would think with those odds i would have received more. At least 25 are now mysteriously no longer members and i contacted another 50 with the same result. I have found more fake profiles then people willing to just talk and im a very good looking man (not to toot my own horn). Its sad but all the pics i say that made me join the site are no longer members. On top of that i get an update with member they select for me that arent even in my search criteria. Why would you send me profiles of women that arent interested in meeting White guys???? I’m White, you would think that was important!! Then i get profiles of women from 18 to 27 when my search criteria clearly says 27 to 38 and in those profiles they are looking for men well younger than me. I’m 38 and i dont date older but still receive profiles of women in their 50′s. Its just sad and once my membership is up im done with match.

April 11, 2012 at 10:35 am
(77) K-leen says:

I have used Match and had several potential nice and handsome real men to choose from (ages 37-47, but not enough time for all of that dating…I couldn’t keep up with the emails, let alone the invitations to go out for drinks or dinner. Actually, what I found is that I had to choose 1 at a time, because there were too many!

I think there have been a few winks that come from across the country which are not in my specified mileage area…I have found that odd. I will say that they are usually a really good looking guy. I don’t want a long distance relationship and they are not within my mileage range, so I just ignore those. But, now after reading these posts, perhaps those are the scams that so many of you mention…

I KNOW…maybe someone should hook all the people from this string of comments up with each other, :) Hope you all find happiness with a great partner soon.

April 24, 2012 at 12:19 am
(78) Rich W says:

So, my subscription is expiring in 3 days. In the last 2 days, I have gotten more winks from very attractive women, mostly from out of state and 10 years younger than me, than I have had in the entire 3 months prior.

Coincidence? I think not. An obvious ploy to entice me to extend my subscription. And, since most do not have a profile if I try to click on them, I am pretty sure that these woman do not exist.

May 31, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(79) bill says:

So many women in their 40′s are looking for men their age and younger can’t be fake… delusional but not fake!!! :)

July 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm
(80) matcher says:

I have the same complaint against match with all the fake/expired profiles. But hey just wink like to all of them. I went 4 dates so far and scored 4/4…..so……it does work but it takes a while and it is sooooo annoying to write your heart out and never get a response…oh well…who will make a better site?

July 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(81) CARLY says:

I’ve been a member of match.com for about a week. There is no question there are fake profiles and scammers galore. If you sign up please listen to these important tips.

Turn off your IM’s. virtually all are out of country scammers. I blocked numerous users and it looks like almost all of them now have close accounts.

Set your settings so that out of state cannot email you otherwise if you are female 90% of your emails will be from men age 45+ and out of state. Many of these are scammers. I still get winks from out of state guys I do not know how to stop these I just delete. i supposedly am not pulling up in searches from people out of AZ but they still continue to Wink. Nobody takes winks serious it seems and most go totally ignored.

do not take the site seriously. You may wind up with a couple legit people you are interested in by the time your subscription is up. , otherwise don’t count on it. Winks almost always go unreturned, don’t bother. If you are interested in someone send an email and if you are really lucky, you may get a response.

Don’t bother with the daily matches. Every day they gather up profiles of good looking people and you state whether or not you are interested in meeting them. Many of these people are VERY good looking and you almost always NEVER get any response from them which tells me they are probably not current members and used only as bait to get people to subscribe.

Match has issues and I do believe there are some fake profiles on there, and there are many scammers. I am not holding my breath I will actually meet anyone worthy from it. I am not convinced they are any better than Plenty of Fish which is free. Also with POF there is a way to totally block people over a certain age from seeing your profile. It is my understanding Match does not offer this. They should because if you are a paid subscriber you should be in total control of who can search for you.

July 26, 2012 at 2:37 am
(82) Christine says:

I agree with the above poster. I’ve been on for a week and a half and have received some nice emails, but they are all from people outside my requested profile demographics. Now they must know that. But I still feel badly if I don’t reply to their emails..which is extra work for me!

I have not received a single email from someone I’d be interested in. Furthermore, the majority of the profiles are clearly fake. I’d say probably 90% of the daily matches are fake or they’re using old profiles

It’s easy to tell: They use either stock photos or blurry photos, the photos don’t match the description, the profile is written in broken English (but the person is supposed to be American), the age range is weird (like a 45 year old who wants to date women age 45-70, the description is overly flowery and doesn’t seem to match the guy in the photos, there are few to zero preferences of anything including body type (oh sure), they always make at least 100K and are often widowers..

Do a search and go down the list. I guarantee most are fake. And I paid $40 bucks for all this?

It’s too hard to respond to all the winks because either they’re from scammers (watch the profiles disappear the next day) or, again, are not the profile that I’m interested in.

It’s just so annoying. Oh and I didn’t even mention the two totally creepy emails I got. Yuck!

November 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(83) Bre says:

so with all the scamming for your bucks go on, why dosen’t some computer savvy person develop a truly free site to mingle with like minded persons so us lonelies can connect with real people in our area.

December 19, 2012 at 4:03 am
(84) Arethosemygardeninggloves.Com says:

Are There Fake Members Over at Match.com?, ended up being a
very good blog title to give this particular article.
Where exactly may I read through more with regards to this?

January 4, 2013 at 4:01 am
(85) just say'in says:

I agree with everyone …. I ment a guy off there site after talking to him for a year … turned out everything he told me was lies and he wasn’t who he claimed he was yes his picture was real and we Skyped … the problem was he had mental issues big time and even though match doesn’t do back ground checks … they should do mental ones … I never using this site again … besides I met someone in person and have been dating for 2 months now and he’s not crazy …. I learned my lesson …,

January 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm
(86) better sites out there says:

I’ve had great luck with OkCupid. No fake profiles. No manipulation by the site owners. Just a lot of ads, which you can ignore. Because users answer questions, you can quickly sort out the worst creeps, and you get far more information about people than on Match or eHarmony. I’ve met some lovely people here, some of whom are still friends and one of whom was briefly more.

Can’t say the same for Match, which I’d love to sue, or eHarmony, which I dumped within a month of paying my big fee.

February 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(87) Jim says:

In my experience, about 35-40% of the profiles are outright fakes and another 10-15% are profiles setup by scam artists who barely speak english; indeed, one can tell by reading the profiles themselves which are the scammers profiles. They read as if written by a 7 or 8 year old child!

February 12, 2013 at 7:23 am
(88) Dating in America - Dating Agency says:

Find your perfect dating match online with the e-dating match, Looking for Serious Relationship singles all across the United States of America today.

March 14, 2013 at 10:09 am
(89) Frank says:

I signed up to match and paid the 6 month subscription fee. I wasn’t going to at first and just created my basic profile. Of course i received several emails on some very attractive women wanting to get to know me so i paid the subscription fee. So far, after staying active, i haven’t had much luck. the attractive women who wanted to get to know me disappeared and the ones who have reached out all have the same fraud indicators. They are college grads, with horrible grammar skills and they are typically in a state that is not mine. So far, i am really not impressed. Wish i would have seen this blog before…

May 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm
(90) mad2013 says:

I met a couple of guys at match.com. Don’t waste your time; that place has many scammers and players.

June 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm
(91) Maye says:

So I was on match.com and found my friend’s boyfriend on the dating site. I told her and she accused him of cheating but he claims not having made the account and was never on the website. He looked into it and found dating sites (like match.com) create fake profiles and use fb or other social media to target people and create a fake dating profile of them. Is that true?

July 8, 2013 at 10:14 pm
(92) Jason says:

I believe there are fake and outdated accounts, but I suspect that the real scam is more clever than that.

1) A real person creates a genuine profile. It’s mostly true, though the home town is probably phony (for safety reasons.)

2) They then let the matching algorithm do it’s job and they start winking at NON PAYING MEMBERS.

3) The non paying member responds with an email which requires them to join. The recipient receives a commission.

This all works until the person gets too many responses, especially if someone sends a serious thoughtful email. At which point the person cancels their account, waits a few weeks and then opens another one.

I’ve actually seen several women behave exactly this way. On OK Cupid the fishy part was that I got a response from one woman whose rejection letter sounded like advertising copy, including saying “I’ve met someone on OK Cupid.” Nobody says that.

I’ve also watched one woman repeatedly open and close an account, always with a different user name like clockwork. Interestingly, the moment purchased a membership, her account went inactive. I hadn’t emailed her, but I had winked at her.

There are legitimate accounts on Match. The intent here is to get people to sign up.

July 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm
(93) Tim says:

I have been on Match.com before and some luck. Then sometimes not so much. I am wary about joining because of scams. So not sure, if I do join, I join only for a month. Because Match.com will automatically renew with my persmission. I close my savings account: I know extreme but I don’t trust them.

August 4, 2013 at 4:58 am
(94) Samantha says:

I have just signed up for a 6 month subscription of 12.99 per month which I felt was fair enough. However I have received notices of winks and favourite listings that don’t exist and when I check or search a profile they don’t exist.

I complained to match.com they said people remove their profiles and winks and sometimes they do if there are issues or concerns.
So almost every wink or fav and email I was sent notifying me was removed ! coincidence? This really shouldn’t be allowed even the ones that I have winked at and responded are dodgy and disappear and I am not unattractive. I know how to communicate in the dating world and I just know these people either don’t exist or are starts of scams as the ones that do contact me are way over the top!
How on earth do we stop this? I have just THROWN away over £70 and am concerned I will never meet a “REAL” person on this site and still 5 months to go!!!!!

September 9, 2013 at 11:14 pm
(95) not the chosen one says:

I can’t believe it but after reading these posts it appears these fake profiles by Match still continue. My subscription ended last friday, then all of a sudden I get four emails three saying that some ladies liked my profile the other from someone with an alleged talk match that liked my profile. So in return I sent out a like to each ladies picture to see if I would get a response back, especially considering in less then 24 I have 4 likes from the daily match.As expected no reply from those profiles, so my advice like everybody else has recommended the hell with Match!

September 15, 2013 at 6:55 am
(96) Corey Stinson says:

It’s clear that Match.com is stuffed to the brim with fake profiles. I’m communicated with by 2-3 of them PER DAY, always by way of being “winked at”, “favorited”, or having one of my pictures “liked”.

Usually these profiles are easy to spot because they have flowery, vague language in the About Me section and/or are not from a city local to me. Sometimes, though, they ARE local and have a profile that seems more real and is more fleshed out, multiple photos, etc. However, in every single instance where I initiate an email contact with that user, that user’s profile disappears from the site within 24 hours. Really? I may not be god’s gift to women, but I’m certain I’m not doing anything that would cause them all to block me or close their accounts, lol!

September 15, 2013 at 6:56 am
(97) Corey Stinson says:

I don’t believe they could all be foreign scammers because this could be easily controlled by IP address and simply not allowing account registrations or activity from foreign-based IP address in Nigeria, Russia, etc.

They *could* be domestic (U.S.) based scammers who, upon creating accounts, immediately begin winking and favoriting a large number of people. This could represent a behavior pattern that Match could detect progmatically then immediately freeze/delete those accounts. This could explain how profiles are created but then seem to disappear shortly after they’ve contacted you.

Another theory is that Match is generating these profiles either from a database of old pictures, or simply old, defunct user profiles. They then use those profiles to contact active users. Why would they do this? It seems that some people, whose accounts are nearing expiration, are being contacted by such accounts when their own accounts are nearing the expiration date. That would certainly suggest Match is stringing people along.

My experience as someone who paid up front for six months of service, however, is that I’m being contacted in some way 2-3 times daily by such fake accounts. I can’t come up with a legitimate reason why Match themselves would be involved in doing this? The signal to noise ratio is so high that it actually hinders rather than helps my use of their site to the point where I have considered closing the account and initiating a credit card chargeback against them for providing a nearly unusable service. As such, I have to conclude that Match can’t be behind the generation of all of these fake profiles.

September 15, 2013 at 6:56 am
(98) Corey Stinson says:

So, are their really that many domestic/U.S. based scammers on Match? It seems hard to believe, but if there are, they are rendering the service nearly unusable.

I have also read theories that Match actually hires people to go on dates to string users along. I don’t think such a thing would be possible. Imagine the logistics of Match finding a local person and retaining their services to actually date you under false pretenses. Not only is that logistically unfeasible, in a very short time the whistle would be blown on any such official company policy. I think this theory can be safely discarded.

September 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm
(99) Cynthia says:

This is definitely happening to me on PerfectMatch.com. In one day, I got almost identical emails from two different profiles using the same guy in the picture, but with different clothes, names, professions, locations and slightly different ages. I called this person on it and even copied and pasted the emails from both profiles to the other and said “does this look familiar?” Each time they are asking for my email and for me to contact them via text or SMS on a cell phone number they provide. Why are they doing this?

October 14, 2013 at 11:05 pm
(100) Billy says:

I signed up for a 3-month subscription. During this time, I received no email messages (aside from responses) or attention. However, after the subscription had ended, I had four “You caught her attention!” emails within four days. But you cannot see who unless you pay them.

It’s very clear that there is some manipulation going on to encourage people to sign back up again.

November 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(101) karen says:

Can you tell me how to get in contact with match.com as it just says its in the help section there isent one ? Thank you karen .

November 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm
(102) karen says:

Hi its me againe
Whats so anoying is on the web site it says 7 days free trail , yet it wont let me see my mesages or my winks it wil let me uploade my pics and that is it I havent paid my sub fee yet I dont know wether to now after reading some of thases storys. I only jpined last night and got 8 winks and 32 mesages.
some body tried to scam me before .so I am weary now . karen

December 20, 2013 at 1:10 am
(103) Marilou says:

wondesrful submit, very informative. I wonderr why the oppposite experts
oof this sector don’t understand this. You should continue your writing.
I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

My webpage – best hcg drops weight loss, <a href=”http://caseyfluharty.edublogs.org/2013/12/17/hcg-diet-does-function/”>Marilou</a>,

January 10, 2014 at 5:29 pm
(104) steve says:

I signed up last week. Since then I have been winked at several times, all very gorgeous women with almost word for word similar profiles. Obviously, if they were real they would be too flooded with emails to have time to search for me, an average looking guy. Ive also had at least 5 notices a day from people who you have to pay to see. Ive been on other sites before and never got that much attention. obviously they are scamming. There is no way that is real. Hope the dude wins the suit.

February 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm
(105) Kate says:

I have found that eHarmony and Match.com are fakes. You pay for a subscription and you don’t much until your subscription is about to end. All of sudden you get all these interested guys, but wait – you need to renew your subscription first. I think all of those “all of sudden” interested people are fakes. Also, they taunt how many members they have on their site. All around the world and many are fake – leaving very few to none in your own area. You are wasting you money.

February 10, 2014 at 6:17 pm
(106) Marie says:

I joined Match.com in January 2014. My first 2 Chats turned out to be men from the Ukraine. I chatted with both of them over a period of 1 week. They were both so interested in what I liked to do and progressively called me “Sweetie or Dear”. I read up on the precautions of Match.com and sure enough the signs were there…poor spelling, telling me they lived in the US but were in another country working as a Petrochemical Engineer and the other said he was a Construction Engineer in Eqypt. I reported both profiles and the next day they were gone. The funny thing is one of them came up on another profile and different picture and had the nerve to send me an email saying, “Hello, this is Chris, Chris was one of the names used. I canceled my subscription and sure enough got 10 flirts, 8 smiles and 8 emails, so I went back on the prove those flirts, smiles and emails were fake by Match.com people or whatever they call themselves. So, watch out for any man saying he lives in the U.S. but works overseas.

April 8, 2014 at 12:14 am
(107) papillon says:

I am so pissed that Match.com is still a total and absolute fraud!!
I want to join a class action lawsuit but they really belong in jail for this
utter fraudulent website! I was fooled with the first couple e-mails, but became apparent pretty quickly when the same patterns were emerging just like posts dating back for years!! What in the ____ is going on here?
Match.com is on my ___list for good!

I e-mailed the fakes back telling them they are BS. If they were real they would defend themselves. At least have some fake replys you idiots!
You suck more than anyone else has ever sucked before, Buttheads.
I’m calling the FBI.