In the four-and-a-half years I've written for About.com, I've had countless readers ask me to create a free, accessible, uplifting and powerful boot camp -type process. Folks wanted a day-by-day and week-by-week series that they could read anytime, find support from other singles just like them, while learning how to take ownership of their dating lives in a positive way.
I've taken your advice, suggestions and ideas, and for the next 90-or-so days, will provide each and every one of you with a daily dose of inspiration and to-do's. Essentially you'll become your own dating coach, with some help from readers just like you, as well as experts, matchmakers, dating-advice-giver-outers like myself.
Tomorrow I'll begin the series, and you can read about it every day in this blog. I'll post links to read and questions to answer, and you can work through it all on your own time. Subscribe now to the RSS feed so you don't miss any updates, or switch your homepage to this blog as a daily reminder.
What will you get from this dating boot camp? Here's an abbreviated list, which I'll update as we progress through the series. The general intent however is to help single men and women disconnect as much as possible from a previous breakup, whether it was a day or ten years ago, and move into a better, more positive, attractive place so they can meet the person of their dreams.
- Work through any residual issues with past relationships, family, friends and/or loved ones so that you're ready and able to welcome new love into your life;
- Focus on the positive, without dwelling on the negative or getting 'stuck'. For those who struggle with the more serious blocks to love such as working through a divorce, and you'll get lots of guidance as to where to go next, along with suggestions for professional intervention if need be;
- Learn what you really want, need and must have in a relationship, as well as how to meet folks that fit your specific criteria;
- Create a support system both virtually and in real life that will help you to make decisions with regards to love and relationships;
- How to flirt, ask someone out, where to go and what to do on a first, second, third and beyond date;
- Concrete advice dealing with long distance relationships, jealousy, confidence, attraction, safety, gift giving, ex's, and more;
- Help and specific information for folks of all sexual identities, single parents, divorcees, seniors, teens, and more; and
- How to fight 'fairly' and deal with conflict in your romantic and personal relationships.
I've created a small badge that you can display proudly on all social media, blogs or your personal website, to share with other folks that you've committed to this process. I'll create something bigger ASAP, but in the meantime, feel free to use this badge, making sure to link back the blog post you're reading now:
As well, I'm open to suggestions for content to cover in this dating boot camp, so please feel free to comment honestly and openly here and share your thoughts, or email me directly and privately at email@example.com.
Ready to start? Here's Day One.