1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Money Ain't No Thing...

By July 23, 2012

...to smarter-than-average women, that is. Or at least so says an article in Psychology Today about University of Michigan graduate student Christine Stanik's research findings.

Stanik, whose research focuses on mate selection and romantic entanglements, found that the higher a college woman's IQ, the less she valued a high-earner as mate potential. The study also found that women with higher IQs were less likely to believe in or appreciate stereotypical gender roles in romantic relationships.

So what does this mean for dating singles? Stanik felt that the women in the study were saying they had no issue with being the breadwinner (as well as waiting much longer than previous generations to partner and mate), and therefore weighed a man's ability to be a supportive partner and parent more heavily than his ability to bring home the bacon. This in turn is also good news for the guys out there hoping to attract a smarty-pants gal, as they'll have more time to perfect their lifestyle before settling down.

But what do you think? Do smarter women appreciate money and gender stereotypes less than the average gal? Are you a woman with a higher IQ, and if so, do these things matter to you when dating or in a relationship?

More Dating Research: Are Taller People More Jealous?, Stubbly Men More Appealing, Smell Dating?, Choose Your Dating Email Language Wisely.

Comments
July 9, 2008 at 1:43 pm
(1) Jennie says:

This is ironic, as it is typically the men that hold blue collar type jobs that are intimidated by successful women. Good news for the average American man, right?! Sounds to me like you can have your cake, and eat it too! Go get ‘em boys!

July 10, 2008 at 5:35 pm
(2) Leola says:

The part about college women not needing successful men is ridiculous. Speaking as a college graduate, I wouldn’t be interested in someone who isn’t at least on my level in terms of education and status. A man probably wrote this.

July 10, 2008 at 9:21 pm
(3) Bonny says:

Well, I can attest that I’m not male (I wrote the blog post), and the person who undertook the study isn’t as well.

The study didn’t say women didn’t need successful men. Not at all! What the study found was that intelligent women didn’t place a man’s earning potential as high on their list of wants/needs in a partner. Money ISN’T everything for higher IQ women – or so the study says.

I’ll be the first to agree with this finding on a personal level; I’ve never found a man’s income to be of any consequence (to me).

July 21, 2011 at 11:50 am
(4) Natasha D says:

LAdies who completely disagree with the study possibly lack the high IQ required to place other qualities of a man before his earning potential. I have good education btw. I went through so much hell with one of my high earning boyfriends that I actually took a lot of time to find a man who has good values. Both males have graduate education as well. Money isn”t everything. Golden cages dont make women happy.

July 11, 2008 at 12:47 pm
(5) Villanelle says:

I agree wholeheartedly with the findings of the study; I’ve lived it. In fact, I am apprehensive toward men who have higher than average incomes, because my general experiences have made me correlate wealth with less than desirable qualities in those who possess it. Not that I’m perfect. :)

July 13, 2008 at 1:52 am
(6) LKL says:

I think it depends, though, on why he earns less. Is he doing something “noble” or is he just a deadbeat? I have to think that the latter would bother all women, no matter their IQ.

July 13, 2008 at 6:35 am
(7) Nancy says:

I have several good friends who are single males…they may be very glad to hear this news! Do you think it’s possible that average-income men are intimidated by high-IQ, college grad women, or do men prefer women with brains and degrees?

July 13, 2008 at 8:42 am
(8) Connie G. Thomas says:

As a smarter-than-average woman, I definitely agree that money isn’t everything. In my current relationship, he makes more than I do. In my previous dating relationship, I made more than him. I think it makes more of a difference for guys though.

July 13, 2008 at 9:01 am
(9) Marcia says:

The love of my life was a brilliant actor, sometimes employed, sometimes not. I never cared. What was important was that we shared a love of theater, a love of words, and love.

September 1, 2008 at 12:22 am
(10) Mary says:

It means that a woman does NOT HAVE TO BE A GOLD DIGGER because she can support herself. Some women that do not make money look for men to support them instead of trying to improve themselves. To the women that says she will only date on her “LEVEL” money is not what makes the man. There are plenty of college graduates that are idiots. Judge each person individually.

September 1, 2008 at 12:25 am
(11) Christine says:

My boyfriend makes less money than I do, but he is just as smart as me if not smarter! LOL
He loves his job. He is not a slave to money. My last boyfriend was rich. He made way more money than me and he was miserable. To pick a man because of his wealth is sad.

March 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm
(12) HIP_HOP_LIVES says:

Sadly, the norm is that women often side with wealth and hegemonic principles because most women, and men, have no interest in learning, “why our social lives are the way the are”. They just go along and never question it. We live a capitalist money and status/privilege obsessed society so like it or not, this is what the average person looks for. Education is not accessible or appreciated by most people so the majority of the population suffers in terms of mate selection because they all want to “get ahead”. No pun intended… Intelligence is the romance of the Gods…

March 17, 2009 at 8:18 am
(13) mike says:

Having a blue collar job doesnt make you stupid just like having a job such as a doctor doesnt make you smart — perhaps a good Parrot.

April 8, 2010 at 11:35 am
(14) Rosie says:

I agree with LKL. I can see not wanting a partner for financial reasons: I can definitely look after myself and have been for a long time but as a woman I cant see anything wrong in a man who in case bad times befall me can provide the basics. Why not? Also there is not enough information on the study :the procedures employed , sample size , geographic (demographic) factors for me to agree or disagree. This is just one study and one needs a lot more in life than that to alter ones thinking and biological instinct…

July 16, 2010 at 2:46 pm
(15) Looking for rich men says:

This is ridiculous. For me, I will never be with a guy that doesn’t have the qualifications for meeting my parents. I will really love to have a rich men boyfriend rather than having a boyfriend that we are the same for being the bread winner of our family. If you are single then enjoy dating with rich men!

March 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm
(16) Lisa says:

This is the worst article I have ever read. This encourages men to be lazy sloths and live off their women. If your chic is making more than you- than you gotta problem!

July 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(17) Arby says:

No one’s going to date me while I’m dirt poor. Thank goodness! Now, How do I just get action?

July 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(18) Joy says:

I can safely consider myself to be a woman with a fairly high IQ, and while I can agree that I don’t really care much about how much a man makes, I’m completely turned off by someone who can’t keep up with me intellectually or has no ambition or goals. As long as he doesn’t plan on being dependent on someone else or just being a bum, what he does decide to do doesn’t really matter to me.

July 23, 2012 at 9:28 pm
(19) Two of Us - Lucy Moore says:

As a educated professional I believe that women should be with their equal or better,

April 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm
(20) the art of picking up girls says:

Great site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find excellent writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!

April 10, 2013 at 4:13 am
(21) forex trading tips for beginners says:

Hi every one, here every person is sharing these kinds of know-how,
therefore it’s fastidious to read this weblog, and I used to visit this webpage all the time.

April 23, 2013 at 7:49 am
(22) Stefi says:

1. The man should have at least equal qualification as compared to the lady — when the man has lower qualifications that the high IQ lady his ego would be bruised one day. That is not good for the relationship in the long run.

2. The man should earn at least the equal amount compared to the lady — his income is to run the family and to ‘pamper’ the high IQ lady. The lady’s income should be for her own pursuits. Ladies with high IQ’s would require high maintenance since they are curious about new things in life, therefore have many pursuits/hobbies.

February 4, 2014 at 2:34 am
(23) juan del cruz says:

plenty of money is needed by certain people to grow daily like trees in body..mind…spirit.. people must have plenty of money to grow daily in these 3 aspects..ALL MUST MAKE SOMETHING OF OUR SELVES OK!!!

February 13, 2014 at 2:41 pm
(24) Vince says:

As a man it is nice to see that good sense still prevails amongst the majority of women when it comes to determining the worth of an individual vs an individual’s worth.

As for the rest. I suspect you won’t have this issue to confront as your true motives are usually apparent.

March 4, 2014 at 5:32 am
(25) Janell says:

If your ex girlfriend was really done with you, she would not be that worried over you.

Women adore men who knows how to lead them, leading
without having control them. That type of attitude will build attraction in almost any woman.

April 11, 2014 at 10:26 pm
(26) bridgettweeter says:

They just released a study that states women to this day still make less than men ON average 10 grand a year…. NOW we are expected to undo something that is natural for women…. SEEK OUT A MAN who is a good provider. WHEN a man seeks a woman based on her looks IT is considered boys being boys BUT I am always surprised at the number of sad mean spirited evil women ready to line up and stone other women. I am single and YES I could sit across from some guy at McDonald listening to him speak on how beautiful he thinks I am… Would I be happy HELL no.. And I wouldnt be happy about the size of my butt afterwards either.