1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

October One of Busiest Months for Dating

By October 4, 2012

... or at least, according to Opposites Connect CEO, Larry Wilson. An email from one of his staff shared:

"Maybe it's because the holiday season is approaching and mistletoe is looking grimmer than ever. Truth is, the Winter season online dating sees a spike in first dates because bad weather motivates singles to get out of the house in the evening time."

I'm not sure if I agree with this statement, and thus why I'm sharing it with all of you. Yes, online dating sites do see a spike in October, although January and February are the hottest of the hot spots. October, to me, is the month to meet folks because of Halloween and all of its costumed festivities - a built-in ice breaker for even the most shy amongst us. And yes, many singles aren't fond of navigating the holidays without a partner in tow, so the increase makes double sense. But the weather? That's not something I've considered.

What do you think readers? Why do dating sites see increases in their user base in October? Why do you think October is one of the busiest months for dating?

Related: Halloween Costumes for Singles, Couples Halloween Costumes.

Comments
October 7, 2010 at 1:05 am
(1) Kim says:

I think it’s weather-related…it’s getting cold and people want to snuggle up to someone. It may also be that it’s getting to be the end of another year and this milestone tugs at our heart strings when we aren’t partnered.

Another interesting perspective is from astrology. More people are born under the sun sign of Gemini than any other sign. The sun is in Gemini approximately the last week of May and the first three weeks of June. This puts the majority of conceptions taking place right around September/October.

October 7, 2010 at 11:51 am
(2) Nick says:

I think it’s a new leaves changing, in some part of the world. It is the buying costumes that match.

There must also definitely be a snuggle factor though.

October 8, 2010 at 1:59 am
(3) Laura says:

I think it’s because the hustle and bustle of summer is finally over and people have more time on their hands! Plus … it’s an interesting way to keep warm in the fall weather!

October 17, 2010 at 1:01 am
(4) Arby says:

I’ve never seen much activity on my Plenty Of Fish site, but lately it’s been completely dead. Even after trying an experiment where I clicked on a whole bunch of profile pics of women up to 10 years my age (of 54). That doesn’t track. Not a scintilla of curiousity? I think there’s something fishy about POF, frankly.

If that’s just coincidence, then I guess it does deal with your question. Over here, it’s DEAD. Then again, as I said, I get virtually no activity most of the time.

October 17, 2010 at 8:48 am
(5) Arby says:

That was up to 10 years ‘older than’ my age of 54.

October 30, 2010 at 11:46 am
(6) samuel says:

I think it is because as the old year closes,every single hopes to start a new year with a new catch and to get new idears.