1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Is Jealousy Ever a Good Thing In a Relationship?

By November 3, 2012

Many of the dating advice questions I get revolve around the green eyed monster we all love to hate: jealousy. Why am I jealous of her friends? Is he or she trying to make me jealous? Do I have the right to be jealous? Am I too jealous? How do I stop being jealous?

What's your opinion on jealousy? Do you think it's healthy in some cases, or does it spell disaster for all dating relationships?

Related: How Jealous Are You Quiz, Are Taller People More Jealous?, Does Facebook Create Jealous People?

Comments
November 26, 2007 at 4:09 pm
(1) John says:

Guys, I must agree with this.

November 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm
(2) zara and sara says:

well me and my friend both need help with my jealous best freind so its totally true

March 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm
(3) Love Relationship Advice says:

I think that jealousy is like everything else – it is healthy in moderation. No one can say that they don’t get a sense of feeling desirable when their partner shows a little jealousy. It is when there is too much jealousy and it leads to fighting or unwanted behavior from your partner that it becomes a problem.

Tony

November 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm
(4) thedatingreview says:

Jealousy is all about insecurity. The only way to get past it through communication.

November 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm
(5) randy says:

I talked about this recently , my point of view is that jealousy can be very healty for a relationship . The problem is the obsession that someone have and most of us misunderstand it in to jealousy.

The best way to control this is working togheter ,i thinkt he comunication is the base of everything

best regards

December 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(6) pilosopong_love_guru says:

In my own opinion, jealousy is the effect of mistrust. It is like a ball that inflates and if the pressure is too much, it will explode. It also mean that you don’t have confidence in your self.

For me jealousy is a sickness. It is bad for your health, beacause you think too much negative possiblities.

Good communication is one of the remedy in this kind of “sickness”.

December 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(7) Matt says:

There are no such thing as good or bad emotions.

It’s all about what you do with your jealousy. Do you act on it? Does it hurt other people? Some people just treat their significant other much better in those situations, rather than lashing out at the third party (who is usually oblivious).

December 3, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(8) fancie says:

I can truthfullky say that I do not know what jealousy feels like even if it has a feeling. However, I have heard and seen friends turn green in rage over this “Jealousy”. I had to ask a few people what they feel like. And either I am weird or this is the norm for some people. My personal opinion on Jealosy in a relationship if you don’t have trust and feel this jealousy word kick in then you have nothing at all. Who wants to live their lives worrying about what someone else is doing, who they are talking, what time their coming home. BLAH BLAH BLAH what a waisted relationship and time consumming. Being more confident in oneself is more healthy.

December 3, 2010 at 9:30 pm
(9) Kirk says:

I think jealousy, in SMALL doses, can be a healthy thing for relationships. It can keep the spark there, and maintain that chemistry. Also it can not let us get complacent and take our partner for granted.

However, most men in relationships get overly jealous when they have absolutely no reason to be, and in general, aside from the reason mentioned above, jealousy is a negative emotion and serves no positive purpose.