1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Have You Ever Tried Group Dating?

By February 21, 2013

An interesting post in the dating forum by contactable asks: "Has anyone tried group dating like the ones they have in Japan, gokon it's called? Where someone brings their single friends to meet with other single friend and his/her friends? If you have tried it, did you think it is better than one - one dating? What was your experience like?"

I wasn't familiar with the term gokon until contactable asked, but I've definitely done the group dating thing: murder mystery parties, singles dinner parties, blind dates, single volunteers, singles social clubs, you name it. I've also suggested group dating to several clients and readers, with some surprising successes.

Have you ever tried gokan, or any other form of group dating? What did you enjoy about it? Would you recommend it? Why or why not?

Comments
February 28, 2011 at 5:53 am
(1) Women Made Easy says:

Well, I think group is great form of meeting new people.

I always love the idea of meeting people that are already friends with someone you already know.

So, I think it might be one great way to meet that specail someone.

February 28, 2011 at 8:48 am
(2) relationship breakups says:

good question for Tried Group Dating

March 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm
(3) Shel says:

Gokon is group dating….technically. But everyone knows that you’re really going into it hoping for a hook up or a **** buddy. It’s not for relationship-minded people AT ALL. There’s a new trend in dating called “Konkatsu” in Japan- which is actively searching for a marriage partner. In a way each are seriously pursuing something – just depends on if it’s a one night stand or lifelong compnionship.

Group dating with dinner clubs like Eight at Eight Dinner Club and Table for Six are good for relationship-minded people, foodies, general people-lovers, and newcomers to the city. There are so many possibilities for it. They certainly aren’t limited to any one particular goal. Check them out if you really fluorish in a group setting. It really doesn’t hurt to try…positive people have positive experiences, right? At least that’s why I think online dating was fun (tho few agree). Dating’s about increasing your odds of meeting someone great, and so the more people you meet, the better. If dating is the goal, I say try it all!

March 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(4) Joy says:

Group dating is a great way to increase your social circle in a safer, less intimidating setting!

March 1, 2011 at 2:53 am
(5) Midi says:

No never tried it yet, but it really sounds exciting!

March 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(6) miko says:

I liked what you wrote. True, there’s nothing like meeting new people especially on dating site.

March 11, 2013 at 1:30 pm
(7) CC says:

Group dating can be really fun, but like a previous poster said, the group needs to consist of relationship-minded people. It is a great option once that part is handled. Being on a date with multiple people eases the pressure. Plus it gives you options, when someone turns out to be not so interesting.

Eight at Eight Dinner Club, http://www.8at8.com, is a good option for those who are nervous about dating and need to be reassured they will be among other relationship-minded singles.

March 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm
(8) dysonar says:

Group dating is exciting and enjoyable with trusted friends.

It gives a real sense of exciting amongst friends.

Why don’t you try??

Dysonar

May 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm
(9) Katia says:

I like group dating! It’s such a cool way to meet a lot of people in a new city!

I didn’t know about Eight at Eight Dinner Club, it seems cool! I was using Jookiz the last couple of months. The concept is a little bit different from 8at8.