1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

What Do You Think When You See '420 Friendly' On a Dating Profile?

By May 6, 2013

I've had a few folks ask me variations of this question of late, so I thought it was high time (excuse the pun) to discuss it here. When someone you're dating, or, someone you're talking to via an online dating site, mentions that they're "420 friendly," what do you say? Does it matter to you?

For some folks, it's a non-issue. I've talked to many who don't see smoking marijuana as a problem, or who would rather date a person who already approves of their choice. In my neck of the woods, '420' commonly appears in dating site profiles, and I've had quite a few folks tell me they're uninterested in dating unless their potential partner is a pot smoker, activist, or at the very least, tolerant of it's occasional use.

I'm not going to get into the ethics or legal aspects of marijuana use, as there are others with infinitely more expertise in the field than I. (See: What Does 420 Mean?, Why Marijuana is Illegal, and Marijuana Facts.) What I will say however is this: marijuana use, like smoking, drinking, religion, children, and politics, are all deal-breaking topics for many singles. Whether you live in an area where marijuana is legal or not, it's eventually a discussion many of us will have at some point in time - again, depending on where you live, sometimes it's a conversation that will occur more than others.

What do you think, dear readers? Is smoking marijuana a deal breaker for you? Do you mention anything 420-related in your online dating profile? Does it matter to you if your date is open to marijuana use, or dead set against it?

Related: Strange Love - Unusual Dating Sites, Marijuana Use and Teens.

Comments
May 6, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(1) Chad says:

It isn’t a dealbreaker but I don’t want a potential partner to be high/stoned for everything they do. I don’t mind them using it but there’s a point where too much is too much.

May 9, 2013 at 6:54 am
(2) Val says:

Yeah, I would agree. It’s fine to try it occasionally, but if it’s a regular part of their live, I am not interested. The biggest reason is the damage they are doing to their health.

May 11, 2013 at 3:11 am
(3) Paul says:

It is a deal breaker. Why date someone with archaic views on marijuana? Like Val above – ” The biggest reason is the damage they are doing to their health.”

Seriously, Val, do some research. Pot is safer than Asprin. Cannabis does not cause lung cancer like cigarettes, does not ruin lives like alcohol, and actually offers many POSITIVE health benefits. It cures cancer, controls neuropathic pain, and is now being used to treat MS, seizures, PTSD, insomnia, depression, you name it. It is now commonly given to children with seizure disorders as it’s the safes and most effective thing going.

Pot is WAY safer and healthier than a coke-a-cola. Would you date someone who drank a coke a day?

Also, pot users are often very intelligent, or at least more intelligent than uninformed people who make generalized statements about their *lives* or make it a regular part of their *life.* You should have someone edit your posts before you click “say it.”

May 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(4) Jarrod says:

Not a deal breaker the more stoned the better I enjoy it

August 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm
(5) John says:

Well, Paul sounds very informed and speaks to the heart of the issue in my book.

I use medical cannabis to control some health issues because I can function better in my life and it is a better alternative than prescription narcotics. But, try putting that in a dating profile and see how far you get.

Because of all the misinformation by the government, propagated by the media, most people have a distorted view of who a “pot smoker” is these days. Furthermore, most dating singles who are not 420 friendly, won’t look twice at someone who is because of it.

September 8, 2013 at 12:15 am
(6) benny says:

Most anti 420 people are simply to unformed/close minded to have an opinion on the matter anyway. They get their mentality from mom and dad and never expand their horizons. No matter how much personality or looks they display at first their ugly side is just waited to ambush your vibe.

October 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm
(7) Robert DaMan says:

any additional comments Val are Chad…..lol I guess the case is closed….but I would guess the real answer to the question would live somewhere in the sats please don’t quote me.. do your own research I think the last poll I heard what’s at 52 percent of US citizens we’re in favor of some form of legalization. so I imagine they(the 52 percent that is )would be tolerable at home as well.. if you’re someone that chooses not to have marijuana in your life then you wont and if you do you will..
I will end by quoting Spock from Star Trek live long and prosper

November 3, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(8) dizel says:

“they” (who makes money on cannabis) make you believe-it is good for health. do not trust anyone. in west countries it used what? 50-60 years? go to Asia (where cannabis origin from) thousands years Asians know it, and it grow everywhere. Do you see many people using it? They know this weed in practical-real way. go to the field, where cannabis grow-no birds there? why?=death. I can tell you more. but trust no one. do your own real true research. pot is huge money, thats why “they” wants you to believe in “good pot”. too much to continue…

November 22, 2013 at 7:36 pm
(9) Not Bubbles says:

Hey Val, I eat it for health!

December 12, 2013 at 10:18 am
(10) Chris says:

Deal breaker. Inhailng any smoke into your lungs is harmful to them thus I’d be with someone who does not care about their own health and is in all likelihood unable to. cope with the real world thus they turn to drugs. I find the people I see that smoke it are unintelligent, naive, and lazy.

January 22, 2014 at 8:03 pm
(11) Virginia says:

Come on you pot smokers. You know that the majority of pot smokers are NOT doing it for their health or for an illness. It IS disturbing to find so many people fighting to be allowed to legally get high. And you can’t assume that a person who thinks pot smoking is not good somehow things that cigarettes and alcohol are better since they are legal (this seems to always be the argument next to it being “medicine”). What always worries me is not the pot, not the alcohol but the constant need to be in an altered state of mind and why so many people need this, fight for it, strive for it. And lets face it, when I see a bunch of folks out on the corner holding signs about legalizing pot but have nothing to say about child abuse or anything else that will impact your future in a real way, I have no respect for this cause. There’s work to be done, we don’t have time for all of you to be HIGH! You can’t get high when things are as they should be in the world. You fools are trying to get high when the sky is falling down around you. Sounds like a good time huh? Nope, the worst time. Get some coping skills! And to the person who claims potheads are intelligent and aware… what a joke. They can’t even finish a sentence. Intelligent people don’t want to be in an altered state of mind. They don’t need to be.

February 1, 2014 at 2:54 am
(12) Barry says:

Virginia, I am in love with you. Perfect response. I was almost about to write something similar while reading the other responses when I read yours. Very well said.

Once again, let it be clear that we arent disputing the medicinal benefits of marijuana but those addicted to pot are hardly doing it for any medicinal benefits.

Any addiction is bad. Coke addiction is bad too — be it diet or regular. A large majority dont drink water with food, they guzzle down carbonated pop. Now that is quite unhealthy even if it is ‘diet’ (read up on what carbonated drinks do to your body). Whether one would date a Coke addict or not depends on how ‘wise’ that person is about the ill-effects of coke addiction. Just because one fool is dating a coke addict does not justify dating one stoned with marijuana unable to pen down a few coherent sentences as Virginia aptly pointed out.

Bottom line — no addiction is good. I for one wont date an addict. These people are escapists unable to adapt and cope to succeed. I dont want an offspring with them for sure.

February 10, 2014 at 3:13 pm
(13) john says:

get hi on something life is to short were all addicted to something

February 20, 2014 at 1:24 am
(14) Carly says:

I do not smoke marijuana, but my boyfriend is a regular user and I thoroughly enjoy his company. There are unintelligent potheads, but there are also unintelligent ‘sober’ people, too. Just because someone likes to toke up shouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
People who are abusive or rude should be the only deal-breakers.

March 10, 2014 at 8:05 pm
(15) Julie says:

I’m actually for legalization of pot but I would hesitate to date someone who is “420 friendly”. I would definitely not date a cigarette smoker and just really hate the smell of smoke clinging to your clothes and hair. If he agreed to smoke pot when I wasn’t around or “take it outside”, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

April 2, 2014 at 2:16 pm
(16) John says:

Personally I have had on line dating profiles mentioning that my partner would have to be 420 friendly. I honestly believe if you are going to start a relationship on any level you need to be completely honest, so I do mention it in my profile.