1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

What Breakup Songs Do You Like?

By July 25, 2013

I've found myself a tad brokenhearted of late. Whenever that happens, I usually crave hard-hitting, raw songs that really resonate with how I'm feeling. If I can stomp around to it while walking about getting some fresh air, it's usually a winner in my books.

A couple of CDs in particular have helped me through heartache in the past, namely Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill and Low Millions' Ex-Girlfriends (although lead singer Adam Cohen's debut CD Cry Ophelia also has some appropriate tracks). There is something about their lyricism and gut-wrenching honesty that I find not only refreshing but comforting. Yet other friends of mine prefer songs that offer a bit of softness; something gentle and kind that we can cry to, remember with fondly, or otherwise pamper ourselves while coping with a breakup.

What breakup songs have helped you? Do you have favorites that you lean on when the going gets rough? Why those songs?

Related: Feel Better After A Breakup, Kick Bad Habits After A Breakup, What Not To Do After A Breakup.

Comments
July 1, 2008 at 3:58 am
(1) Tammy says:

I’m OLD SCHOOL….REALLY OLD school and I remember listening the slow sad tones of B. J. Thomas singing I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” over and over again and singing along and crying my eyes out.Then getting a bit older in H.S. I started finding myself and Helen Reddy’s “I am Woman” gave me courage to go on. Whenever I felt isolated the Beach Boys were there too with “In My Room”. Now after a 20 year marriage, finding myself doing fine on the other side of divorce, blessed with a great son, family and friends, the hurt of a relationship going bad doesn’t stand up to the other things I have endured. If I am moved to the twinge of heart strings being tested, I will put on my favorite “sad” CD-Air Supply definitive collection-I close myself in my room, crank the stereo then cry and sing until I am horse and no more tears will come. I always feel better after. Then the next day I come out refreshed and ready for another day.

July 22, 2011 at 4:36 am
(2) Tony says:

I thought Air Supply had mostly “up” songs. But I guess you’re right. “I’m All out of Love” nixes that. And you probably have “All By Myself”, Sedaka’s “Breaking up is Hard to Do”, Loggins’ “Oh, Lonesome Me”, and Bread’s “Lost Without Your Love” in that collection, too, don’t you.

Maybe, instead of downers like that, you should turn to pick-me-uppers like ABBA’s “Chiquitita”.

July 12, 2011 at 10:06 am
(3) Marie says:

Fearless Heart Steve Earle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzDGvtJ2pgI

July 20, 2012 at 7:22 am
(4) Walker aka The Diva of Dating says:

I Fall To Pieces, sung by Aaron Neville and Trisha Yearwood is great.
And, a song by Amos Lee–Baby I Want You.
Both express that sense of longing and nostalgia.

July 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm
(5) Gilbert says:

Don’t know about songs cos I listen to mostly albums, but my fav breakup albums are Dilate by Ani Difranco, Sea Change by Beck and Homogenic by Bjork.

July 26, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(6) broken says:

There is a light that never goes out -the smiths
Perfect -the smashing pumpkins
Somewhere only we know -keane
Pictures of you -the cure

Ultimate tear jerker: come back to me- by David cook

July 30, 2012 at 11:53 am
(7) songnote says:

Whatever song you choose – express yourself with a Songnote™

August 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm
(8) Rosaura says:

No more lonely nights(Paul MCartney)…..Just Once..(Quincy Jones)….Don’t dream it’s over( Crowded house)….I do my crying in the rain(A-Ha)….Sylvia (Elvis Presley)….

August 4, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(9) Storm says:

One of my favorites is Chicago “Hard to Say I’m Sorry”

August 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm
(10) Storm says:

I thought of “Ghost” by The Indigo Girls and “The Letting Go” by Melissa Etheridge.

August 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(11) Cynthia says:

“Boomerang” by Jay Montra gives me chills and I never would expect so much honesty from an artist to publicly put out on a record. https://soundcloud.com/jaymontra/boomerang