1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Would You Leave Your Partner If They Gained Weight?

By August 27, 2013

AskMen spoke to 70,000 of their male readers, asking them a slew of questions about their girlfriends, sex lives, and dating preferences. One of the more shocking results (in my opinion) was the question regarding their partner's weight - namely, if their partner gained weight during the relationship, would they end things?

The AskMen readers were split almost 50/50 between a yes/no answer, with the no vote winning by a slight 4% margin. Surprising? For me, yes, but it also leads to a host of other questions. Would women asked the same question answer in the same vein? How old were the men in the survey? How long were these men in a relationship (if at all) and had they ever actually ended a relationship because their partner gained 'too much' weight? How much is too much weight to gain before ending things?

So dear readers, I'm asking you: how much is too much weight? Is a relationship doomed when one of you gains weight?

Related: How Much Do Looks Matter?, Would You Date Someone Who Is Plain?, Is He Interested Quiz.

Comments
August 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(1) Brandon says:

As someone who once was on the receiving end of this sort of selfishness, it is painful enough that I’d never do that to someone else. I always fall for personality first, attraction to their face, body dead last after a lot of other traits. Of course, this might be on account of online dating. But, no– I would not break up with someone who gained weight.

August 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(2) Josh says:

Definitely agree. If anything I would be concerned for my partner and want to help her lose it, or take her to the doctor. How dense can you be?

People like that give us good guys a terrible name.

August 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm
(3) Brandon says:

Josh, good point. People also must realize that once a relationship is had, unless you make it a point that fitness is important, chances are someone is going to get comfortable and let their guard down… bad habits will happen. People only take care of themselves, it seems, when they are attempting to woo someone anyhow.

August 17, 2011 at 9:51 am
(4) JOHNSON says:

Someone that you are dating when he/she have normal weight. Suddenly the person gains weight and you decided to leave her isn’t it madness? is not advised to breakup like that. Your partner will fell so bad, especially when she is truly in love with you.

December 29, 2011 at 11:36 am
(5) Hoivajimmy says:

you definitely love online for gift

September 6, 2012 at 6:46 pm
(6) Robert says:

As Sam Kinison once said, women have this sneaky habit of gaining a couple of pounds every year. And before you know it, you’re married to a women that looks like their mom.

As for me, I’d definitely consider leaving. If I wanted to be with someone who’s overweight, I would have married someone overweight.

September 7, 2012 at 12:27 am
(7) Iz says:

I’ve been in a relationship where the woman let herself go, and gained excessive amounts of weight. I think it was her being selfish and lazy. If a woman isn’t willing to take care of herself mentally AND physically…why should I be forced via a guilt trip to stay with her if she doesn’t care enough to stay in shape. And the excuse of not enough time in a day is nonsense. If you want it you will do it. I get up at 4am to workout at least 4 times a week. If a woman won’t exercise at least half of that amount and she doubles her weight…I have no pity for her. I’m not going to be unhappy just to make someone else happy. Call me whatever you want. I workout and stay in shape for her…I expect the same.

September 10, 2012 at 2:27 am
(8) Anonymous says:

I can’t help but wonder if I’d have had happier relationships if I’d been ‘plainer’. I’m trying not to sound as though I’m conceited or arrogant, because I’m absolutely not, but I’ve always been considered good looking, and have had a lot of attention due to my looks. Yet I find myself in a deeply unhappy relationship, after a string of unhappy relationships, whereby I do not feel I was truly loved, nor my personality and talents appreciated. The attention I got was from fickle, superficial men who probably wouldn’t have given me the time of day if I weren’t attractive. Meanwhile my less attractive friends have found happiness with men who love them in every way. I never managed to find one of these, and the closest I ever came to ‘true love’ was an intense online relationship based on similarities and common interests, deep understanding of each other and real appreciation. Admittedly when I first saw this man’s profile picture in a music forum, he was handsome. Some time later I found out he was shorter, plumper, and balder than I’d known. I’d also learned quite early on that he was gay. Didn’t matter. None of it. Even the gayness. By then I was smitten with his beautiful persona. And dear I say I’m confident the feeling was mutual on some level.. although the sexual orientation may have become a bigger problem had we actually met. I loved this man unconditionally. His looks did not matter a bit. Likewise, he was not biased by my looks either.

Not sure what I’m trying to say. Just that looks can definitely get in the way and make it difficult to distinguish the villains from the heroes.