1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Should You Take a Dating Break?

By October 31, 2013

Is there ever a good time to take a break from dating?

In a word, yes. Sometimes our priorities change, life throws us a curveball, or we start getting bitter, angry and/or jaded with the dating process. Re-evaluating whether or not we're ready to date again can take a while, especially with busy lives, kids or other things that make our lives colorful yet, well, jam-packed.

Have you ever taken a break from dating? If so, why? When and how did you know it was time to start dating again?

Related: What Should I Do To Date Again, Relationship Books for Those Looking To Date Again, Is It Over? Quiz.

Comments
October 24, 2007 at 11:34 pm
(1) Alice says:

I think so. My friend Horace once dated a schoolmate for about one month, then he felt unsuitable with her. So he left her and began to date an airtress. But, a few days later, he gave up the online dating and continue to contact his schoolmate.

October 25, 2007 at 12:14 am
(2) rebekah says:

o.k. so there is this guy and he likes me but i have a boyfriend and i kinda like theese two other guys.what should i do? cuz i dont want to cheat on him and all

October 25, 2007 at 2:40 am
(3) Tiffanyzz says:

Hummmm……. I think so, too. Sometimes we need adjust ourselves. As you know, love is important. Once we feel puzzled, we sould think and have a break.

October 27, 2007 at 4:57 am
(4) Tony Mendoza says:

Date without REALLY dating… Props for wanting to be loyal :)

October 30, 2007 at 8:19 pm
(5) Dana says:

I haven’t seriously dated since 2001. All I have had is lunch dates that didn’t make it to dinner.I’m wondering how to get back into the dating scene

November 11, 2007 at 6:36 pm
(6) L J says:

A break from dating?
Yes! After my divorce from a long term marriage, I was so hurt, confused, angery, not only at myself, but also at my ex-wife. We talk, get along ok now, But trust me, I don’t let her (or any other woman) pull the wool over my eyes anymore! After being married so long, I didn’t even know how to date another woman.

Know to start dating again?
Shortly after my divorce was final, I asked a nice looking girl for her phone number, (i was so scared) she gave it up to me, I called, she called, we talked, and went out together. The date felt so weird to me, I didn’t know how to react to her (I asked her out just to see if I still had it, to see if I could get a date). I didn’t even kiss her. We went out another time after that, again no kiss.. even after her sexual overtones to me, I couldn’t do it. I felt like I was cheating on my wife, even though we were divorced.
This is a plain example of I was not ready to date. Never saw her after the two dates. (I knew it was all me, that messed it up)

The jist of my story? I did a few years of research, homework, thinking about things, all about women.. (interesting people indeed it’s to bad for me I didn’t know this while I was married); before I could feel at ease with myself, in my interactions on an intimate level with women. I needed to study them.. what makes them tic tock; the good clocks.. from the not so go clocks.

I date on the internet sometimes. I’ve met several women, and enjoying the fun and that’s it.. FUN. Fun for her.. & fun for me. And I also find it very fun to approach and open women in person, face to face.
Dating should be fun, if it isn’t, a way must be found to make it fun for both people.

October 6, 2011 at 11:57 am
(7) j says:

I started dating soon after my separation. Some were casual and some were serious. About two years later I halted. I realized after the last guy I dated, I was dating my ex all over again. I was frustrated, angry, sad and so many other emotions. So as hard as it was to say no (and risk being alone) I started to focus on myself and my kids, then finally what I was looking for in a companion.
As all of these things started to progress, I became happier, a better mom and very aware of men who were asking me out. Saying no and explaining what I was looking for became easier. Now I find myself attracted to what I am looking for, and not what I am used to.
I was once told that you have to mourn a divorce or long term breakup. If you jump in without going through the mourning process, I believe its harder be happy again.
Taking a break is must in my opinion. You have to find who you are so that the person you find compliments you, and you them.
I am still searching but I am happier living single than with the wrong person.

October 13, 2011 at 1:38 am
(8) Julia Ross says:

Hi..Boony.. this is Julia here..Actually I’m a happy go lucky guy who loves to roam free…

I usually don’t take a break after a dating break up…Usually iI used to find out another guy to hangout…

October 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(9) UntamedUnicorn says:

Well I guess you could say I am. I have never actually been out on a date or in a relationship but I know that I am in no place to date right now so I have no interest in it.

October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am
(10) india market says:

Stunning story there. What occurred after?
Good luck!

November 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm
(11) Nikki says:

People take sabbaticals from all sorts of activities—their jobs, their hobbies…so I think it is perfectly acceptable and normal to want to or need to take a break from dating. Perhaps the person needs to evaluate themselves, maybe they have too much going on in their lives to give someone else the attention they deserve. Whatever the case, taking a break from the dating scene is an acceptable choice.