1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Will Your Love Last?

By November 29, 2013

It's rare that a week goes by where I don't get asked by a reader through the dating forums or dating advice request form whether or not I think their love will last. Thing is, its a very difficult question to answer - especially since I'm only getting as much information as the reader cares to share. Plus, even a healthy relationship can get thrown depending on a variety of factors no one really wants to plan for: the passing of a loved one, losing a job, a sudden health crisis, etc.

Still, there are some common factors that can help guide us towards seeing whether or not a love relationship will stand the test of time. Things like trust and levels of commitment, how friends and family view the relationship, the manner in which you communicate with each other and how long you've been together for instance. So I've compiled these known markers into a quiz to help those of you asking along the path: Will Our Love Last? Quiz

But what about you? What do you think are the markers for a long lasting, healthy relationship?

Related: Communication Skills for Couples, Why Men Marry Some Women and Not Others, Should We Take This Relationship to the Next Level?

Comments
November 24, 2009 at 8:51 am
(1) make friends online says:

your article are good,i like it

November 25, 2009 at 9:57 am
(2) Sharon says:

Great to read your blog today. Iíve found that there is so much mis information around dating advice on the internet.

What does anyone else think about the advice thatís out there for women on dating?

November 28, 2009 at 9:23 am
(3) Calia Roze says:

I think the trouble with people’s relationships is that many of them have been quickly established upon breakup of an old one. I firmly believe that forming a solid friendship first is the foundation for a lasting love. It’s very easy to find physical chemistry, but when the chemistry fades, people seem to be left looking for that new feeling with someone else and little left in common with their partner!

November 28, 2009 at 9:26 am
(4) Calia Roze says:

I think relationships tend to last when they are built on common respect and a solid friendship. A lot of people like the “newness” of a physical attraction and forget to recognize the fact that once it fades, they have little in common with their partner!

November 29, 2009 at 11:23 pm
(5) Susan B says:

I think that the most important marker of a potentially successful relationship is each partner being true to him- or herself. Once I figure out how to do that, I know I will have the best relationship ever!

December 1, 2009 at 7:44 am
(6) My-date says:

Hope my date lasts forever! Greets

December 1, 2011 at 2:24 am
(7) love matchmaker says:

You have to work at it everyday, but if you have the right partner who loves you and love them back. I think love will last forever.

December 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm
(8) Erika says:

I think the most important factor for a long lasting relationship is trust. If you cannot trust your significant other or vice versa, there is no point of the relationship.

In addition to trust, there are other things as well, of course: Love, Respect, Patience, and Communication are all equally important. I believe that if two people love each other and they both value and understand the importance and necessity of honest and open communication, and they are patient enough with one another to sit down and talk about their differences and work things out, then the relationship and love will thrive and grow in the long run.

December 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm
(9) Jen says:

I agree with Sharon that most dating advice that’s out there is not very useful.

February 1, 2012 at 1:34 am
(10) iamOFWdating says:

Nice article! I must say, TRUE LOVE will last forever if you have good communication and trust with one another.

November 16, 2012 at 2:56 am
(11) Vasilis Alekos Korallis says:

I think that too much sex at the beginning of a relationship can ruin it all. I equate sex with a delicious blueberry cheesecake. If you eat the cheesecake all at once, it’ll make you SICK. So, one must eat the cheesecake slowly, a little at a time. Other than this, communication, friendship, trust and a great degree of respect and tolerance for the other is most important. No one is perfect and if the love is honest and true, then, there is a good chance it will last.