1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Dating While Snowed In

By December 31, 2013

Where I currently live gets little snow, much less temperatures in the freezing range. And yet, one night, I woke up to huge white fluffy snowflakes everywhere.

I'm sure I'm not the only single snowed who feels snowed in (even if the snow didn't stick), wishing he or she were out and about meeting new people, socializing, working, or planning holiday party shenanigans. And I'm also quite positive there are more than a few dating couples who are also frustrated, either unable to get to their partner's place or feeling cooped up with nothing to do together.

Although I love the snow (as I'm sure the local ski hill does as well), I sometimes find it challenging to get out and socialize or head for a run when it's as cold as it is here today. Once I actually get to my cozy destination however, I'm usually quite content with wherever I've ended up -- until I need to go back outside again. So I coax myself home with the knowledge that a good book and a comforting soup are waiting for me at home to curl up with.

I've heard several stories of late from readers and friends who've admitted they met the person they are dating during inclement weather, or who were out enjoying activities only partaken during the winter months, such as skiing or ice fishing. I even heard from one couple who met during a snow camping expedition for an Outward Bound -type organization.

What about you? Do you find it harder to meet people when the weather is challenging? Do you use nasty outside temperatures as an excuse to spend more time with the person you are dating?

Related:

Comments
December 17, 2008 at 3:44 pm
(1) Seth Simonds says:

Cooped up with nothing to do together? Only if they’re Quakers…and even then, they could work on some furniture or the like.

Bonny, if the prospect of being snowed in with your SigOt bores you, shouldn’t you consider finding a different one? I’ve got a solution for you.

Dress warmly but make sure you’ve got some outgoing style to your look. Get in your car, drive to the nearest Home Depot, or what have you, and proceed to get stuck in the parking lot.

Spin your tires loudly, rock back and forth in the snow, leap out and walk around your car in frustration until some gorgeous man shows up to rescue you. If it turns out he’s single and available, set something up. If not, rinse and repeat until successful!

Try it out and let me know how it goes. Somehow I think you’ll, at minimum, end up with some really funny stories!

Best to you!

Seth

December 17, 2008 at 6:28 pm
(2) Bonny says:

I chuckled at your response Seth.

I find that I get a surprising number of emails from readers looking for things to do with their SO’s when the weather gets nasty. Not that its ever been a personal concern; I love winter and everything that comes along with it, whether I’m in a relationship or not.

As for the Home Depot idea… Hm. Damsel in distress? Humorous, if nothing else. :) I’ve actually met a couple of neighbors that I didn’t know I had today because of the weather (one of whom made it clear he’s single), so I can see the merits of your suggestion.

December 19, 2008 at 9:40 pm
(3) Kayla says:

I kinda have an issue. I have a boyfriend who thinks that I will always break up with him and I have been with him almost six months. The other part of my issue is my ex still loves me and I rather be friends he is trying to move on but it’s really hard to do for him. I need good advice please!!! Help Wanted!!!

December 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(4) Dating Blog says:

Being snowed in can bring people together, just as can any crisis kind of situation. That’s because it’s about sharing a problem. So, if you go out and look for ‘shared problems’ such as you might find in some kinds of clubs, or for example in activity holidays, then you might just find the right person for dating.

December 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(5) Mark King says:

I make it an advantage when the weather is bad, either snow or rain. It gives me a bigger chance to cuddle and all that. After all, couples become stronger when times become harder and surviving at the end.

December 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm
(6) Joe says:

I’m a 74 yr old very stressed out & feeling trapped because my wife of 48 years has been diagnosed with dementia. I wish I could be out with a date as our physician recommended that I find a GF.
As soon as a possible find comes along & she discovers I’m married. The door of opportunity slams shut in my face.
Yes, I love my wife but don’t like being in a prison of care.

January 12, 2012 at 1:27 am
(7) Chicago Matchmakers says:

Weather can be a good excuse to enjoy good time with your partner or with whom you are dating. Chilled weather is liked by many couples.