1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Would You Cheat?

By April 24, 2014

For the past few days I've researched and wrote some content about Ashley Madison, the dating site that offers it's users an 'affair guarantee'. Basically anyone whose coupled up can sign up for their service, and if you follow a strict set of guidelines, you'll receive your money back if you don't find what you're after in six months.

By writing this content, I'm not saying I support cheaters. Let's be clear: I don't. But whether I support or condone websites that offer cheaters a means to and end, the fact is, these sites exist because there's demand, and I get a lot of emails on the topic every month. Writing about it makes me curious... and if you look at the current poll results, you'll understand why.

Poll: Would you feel a temptation to cheat if there was no way anyone would find out?

So, would you cheat? Under what circumstances, if any? Have you before? If so, would you again?

Comments
April 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm
(1) Jennie says:

I voted never. It’s not that I’m moralistic but one relationship at a time is complex enough for me :) I’ve had situations where I was in a relationship and fell in love with someone else. I always break up with the first guy.

April 18, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(2) Monica says:

I voted never as I could not do that to my partner. I wouldn’t want him to do that to me so I wouldn’t cheat on him.

April 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm
(3) David says:

I said never just to add to comment
If you don’t cheat how did you fall in love with someone else

April 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(4) Dr. Fred, Psy.D., Ph.D. says:

Call me “innocent and stupid,” but if one is in a relationship, this would imply that one is with the other person because he or she is interested in that person. If one cheats on the other person, then the cheating person should not have been in the relationship in the first place. Of course, this speaks to the nature of the cheating person and the disregard of this person for the feelings of the other person in the relationship. Sadly, human selfishness persists (or may actually be getting worse) and relationships will continue to suffer because of this behavior.

April 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm
(5) Sasha says:

I don’t condone cheating, but could not in good conscience say I’d “never” do it. The reason why people cheat, even if morally they don’t want to, is because that temptation is real. I think it’s naive to firmly hold onto the idea of “I will never be tempted” or “my partner would never be tempted.” Because that’s just not true.

May 1, 2014 at 3:04 pm
(6) Kaia Rose says:

I agree with Sasha. In theory, I would never cheat because of the guilt I would feel for the betrayal. Plus, I believe that cheating is wrong and cruel, and I don’t like to hurt people, especially someone who is supposed to be my beloved. But to guarantee that I never ever would isn’t necessarily realistic. People cheat for many reasons, and temptation is real.