1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

The Best and Worst Dating Sites for 2010

By December 11, 2010

Did you find a new, favorite dating site this year? What about it made it special for you, different than the others, or give you great success in finding a date, mate or something more casual? On the flip side, what dating site(s) let you down this year, didn't give you the features you wanted, or changed the rules without letting you know?

I'm compiling my yearly list of best and worst of dating sites, and I'd love your input. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments, or review a dating site. And for those of you who run dating sites, please add your site to the database instead of posting about it here: Add Your Dating Site or Service. Starting January 13th I'll also be taking nominations for the best dating-related sites, products and services, so stay tuned for that announcement.

Related: Weird Dating Sites, How To Choose a Great Dating Site, Top Online Dating Sites.

Comments
December 27, 2007 at 12:16 pm
(1) Mr Honest. says:

I posted a registered letter to e-harmony for a twelve month membership,a few weeks ago, it mysteriously “disappeared”. Is it because due to having cash on the day it happened to be in the envelope?. The U.S. mail provide a great service never once have I had a problem with them. E-harmony must have a magician on their staff?.

December 27, 2007 at 12:27 pm
(2) Mr Honest. says:

Happy New Year E-Harmony you have a magician on your staff. A few weeks ago, I sent a registered letter to you for a twelve month membership, made the mistake of sending cash for convenience enclosed in the said envelope. -U.S. mail delivered same and it somehow “disappeared”. Trick or treat???.

November 4, 2008 at 4:32 pm
(3) Painfully Honest says:

Yeah I guess if you want to be convenience you can also make it conveniant for people to become thieves. That’s why your mom always to told you to never and I mean never send cash through the mail. Yep, sure is right, it will get ripped off from the guy opening the envelope at eharmony.

January 18, 2009 at 3:16 pm
(4) Pukester says:

You forget Matchdoctor as the worst site for 2007 and 2008. Membership consists of 5000 scammers and 300 real people, most who are already attached, married, cheating or losers. Moderators favorite certain long time members and there is ALWAYS fighting among the members whose only life is bashing others on that stupid site. Not much to choose from and the list grows thinner every day. All of the good members have quit. Oh well. C’est la vive as the fat lady sings.

December 13, 2010 at 10:08 am
(5) Peter says:

Love this site some interesting posts.

December 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(6) Nick says:

I would send in a review but wouldn’t be valid but I would nominate koopa.com as the new new and upcoming online dating site.

We are working to make it the best and I invite you to review it.

December 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm
(7) codyj says:

Pukster is right…and the GLBT sites are much worse…..I have tried many,and over 5 yrs ZERO..most all are riddled with Russian-Eastern European Scammers…and ,in reality, one DOES get very sick n TIRED of their b/s. I lived in Europe few years,and can spot one at once. Most are known as ‘yahooers’ since they want to contnue contact AWAY from a personals site…where they might be monitored. All in All, have YET to find a decent site, producing anything but the aforementioned.

December 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm
(8) postman says:

tried Match.com. Was disappointed when a paying member could not e-mail a non paying member, or visa a versa. Figured if I was a paying member I could e-mail who ever I wanted. Also if a non paying member wanted to contact me as a paying member I should get the e-mail. Singlesnet.com does allow this to happen. I actually tried those two plus plentyof fish.com. Sent out 12 to 15 e-mails and got only 1 response. She said she had already found someone.
If people do not want to be contacted or respond, then why even get on them.
I got off of all of them and gave up on them also.

December 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm
(9) Esther says:

DateBuzz.com is an up and coming site focused on California right now, launched by three Harvard guys earlier this year and focused on building a dating community rather than dating site. Basically I get to vote on the exact pieces of guy’s profiles I like and they do the same for me.

There is tons of user interaction and has a real community feel.

I’ve been using it for a few weeks and like the feel of it so far. Worth checking out!

December 17, 2010 at 3:56 am
(10) Kris says:

kudos to Badoo.com site, I got alot of friends there eventhough a lot of them are either not sincere or scammers. Their chatting is also good but slow.

December 19, 2010 at 9:52 am
(11) Dating says:

I think a lot of this is subjective. It all depends on what you are looking for, casual hookups, long term relationship, and everything in between.

December 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(12) Jeff says:

I think all dating sites are good if you know how to use them.

April 6, 2011 at 7:24 am
(13) Kitten says:

Yes.. It is very hard to find a datingsite without scammers and empty or fake profiles (bought or lifted from other sites). So I decided to make my own website and I hope it will turn out to be just the opposite.

July 6, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(14) neverumind says:

Here is the typical fish on POF: No car, no job, not divorce, already has a gf, fat, ugly and creepy. Who would want to touch that?

September 13, 2011 at 12:59 am
(15) claria peterson says:

don’t forget the rental fishing boat with the frozen trophy fish.yes they real do that. the captains keep a frozen”whopper”on ice.

October 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm
(16) Mary says:

I recently tried ONEDATE, and it is worst dating site ever! fake profiles with guys copying and pasting scripts, and a common thread…all of them are widowers who lost their wives either in an accident or due to cancer! but wait! they are so perfect according to the profile, but when you chat with them you don’t see the typing signal moving, suddenly a huge text comes up, with very different grammar structure and spelling than the last one you got from him. I was cracked up by this, so funny to find guys that believe women are idiots!