1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Using Craigslist To Meet People

By September 24, 2012

I've used online dating services almost since their inception when I've been single and wanted to meet someone. I started as a geeky girl in demand when there were few of us online, and from that a sort of elitist mentally spawned: online dating sites were fine, but I drew the line at the classifieds and chat rooms. For many years I've clung to this unspoken yet firmly entrenched rule of mine, and many of my friends have as well. Clients that have used Craigslist to meet people were few and far between, so I wasn't asked for advice on the subject often.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when I realized I've been single for some time and would like to start dating again. How should I meet people that I could potentially date? Sure, I can review my own list of places to meet people (and did), but I wanted to try something different. Something I'd never done before, something that might help me encounter folks I wouldn't meet otherwise, something totally out of character. A girlfriend of mine suggested Craigslist. My first reaction was to laugh, and then... well why not?

I wrote up a short blurb explaining where I was at and what I was looking for, as well as what I have to offer someone else. A quick proofread and a few mouse clicks later, my Craigslist ad was live. Would anyone reply? Would people make fun of me? How many inappropriate photos would I get? Would safe dating be an issue?

It didn't take long for the first people to answer, and I was surprised with their candor and intelligence. Yes, I did receive a few undesirable responses (which were immediately put in my spam folder so I never heard from them again), and a dating scam offer or two. Many were considerably older than what I'd expressly stated a preference for, and some were honest with their want for casual dating only. One gent sent a nasty note when I didn't reply in a timely manner, and one email was from a good friend (we shared a few laughs over that one).

All in all though, the experience was better than I'd hoped for. Its success is still pending, but if meeting new people was my only goal, Craigslist provided me with more positive interactions and opportunities than any online dating site has in years. If things don't work out with any of the Craigslist folks, maybe I'll try something even more out of my comfort zone in a few weeks' time.

But what about you? Have you used Craigslist to meet people? Why or why not? Are you concerned about safety, who will contact you, privacy or how it will come across to your friends/family?

Comments
September 8, 2010 at 5:31 am
(1) Krystyna says:

I have used online dating sites for years and have gathered positive and negative experiences. I guess, Craigslist is an interessting dating service if you just want to meet new and interessting people online. But if you wanna to meet your soul mate and husband, Craigslist is not the right service. But may be wonders happen sometimes :)

September 8, 2010 at 8:16 pm
(2) Medfordite says:

I have not only used Craigslist to meet someone, I found my soul-mate on there and we have been happily married for just over 1 year now.

It can take a while to meet the right person as a lot of them are flakes that answer you and often will drop you like a rock without notice right in the middle of what seems like a good connection.

All in all – don’t lose hope. I just about lost all hope and then my soul-mate arrived!

September 9, 2010 at 3:31 am
(3) Theresa says:

I met a really great guy on Craigslist. I am trying not to rush into anything, but I am 37, single, never been married, no kids, so I would really like to find someone to spend the remainder of my life with. I am actually quite surprised that things are going so well, and that he is not some creepy guy, but a really great man. We both admitted to enjoying our freedom, but that we are both willing to see where things lead. It could turn out to be a long term relationship and to be truthful, I feel that it is heading in that direction. My experience has been very positive and you just have to use your gut instincts sometimes. I talked to this guy for about a week on the phone before we first met. This helped me to feel the situation out. It just goes to show that you never know.

September 9, 2010 at 8:52 pm
(4) Scott the attract women guy says:

I’m shocked at how many people met people through craigslist. Personally I wouldn’t even look for a job on craigslist as most are bad, to look for someone on craigslist just seem odd.

September 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm
(5) Jason Miller says:

I think the free sites attract more random people so you have to screen harder. Paid sites filter out people who are serious enough to pay for a service. And relationship oriented sites that are heavy on the questionnaires are even more serious. It all depends if you want to put in the time and effort to only see people that are more relationship oriented or not.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm
(6) Kay says:

I’ve been on paid sites and POF (not craigslist- yet) and found just as many or more nice men on the free site. And my new male friends agree that they too have met many nice women on the free site. Any body can pay the membership fee, so there isn’t much of a screening, and there are nice people everywhere. Finding a match is tricky no matter where you are.

July 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm
(7) Chet says:

I met my soulmate on Craigslist. She is what I was looking for all along, but I don’t think I really expected to find her. I was mainly looking for a friend to help me through a hard time, so I almost couldn’t believe that I had found her when I did. We talked online and on the phone for about a month, and then decided to meet, we’ve been together for 5 months now, and we’ve just started talking about the possibility of moving in together! I still can’t believe this has happened to me, but I’m thrilled to do death that it did. I believe that nice people are everywhere, and I think Craigslist opens the door for you to meet more people. I’ve heard tons of people who sheepishly admit that they’ve browsed craigslist, “just for fun.” But that’s what my girlfriend was doing when she came across my ad and decided to email me. She even admitted that she had pretty much sworn off men until she met me. She was getting divorced, and she decided that she was just going to stay single for a long time. Well, fortunately for me, that didn’t work out :-)

September 28, 2012 at 1:40 am
(8) Dorina says:

Senior personals are Find true love, I recommend you go SeniorsKiss. Co M ,where you can meet some single friends in your area, and it’s a effective and safe senior dating site.

October 31, 2012 at 7:52 am
(9) Joe says:

If you’re into creeps and damaged goods, use craigslist. If you’re a decent human being, try okcupid. It’s easy to sort out people you would want nothing to do with… they don’t answer any match questions, they lie about everything, and they can’t spell. If that’s you, by all means, craigslist.

March 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(10) Duri says:

I think it’s where damaged goods go to meet damaged goods. And I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
As if the person who was snobby about okcupid is sooo much better than everyone on craigslist. Online dating is online dating.

March 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm
(11) Pat says:

OMG! I put an ad on Craigslist & I got hundreds of responses,unfortunately they were not the kind of responses I wanted.Two of them sent pictures of their genitals & the others were very young men at least 20 years younger than me. When I actually talked to the other men, I found that 99% had a criminal record or were compulsive liars……I would not recommend craigslist to any women who wants to meet a man of high calibar or morals.

March 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm
(12) Lilly says:

I met an amazing man on Craiglist. Both of us are professionals and we were both honest in our posts. We laugh about how lucky we were to randomly find each other and now are just going with the flow if it works great, if not life is too short to have regrets. I’ll never use CL again, but it worked for me once, and I’ve never been happier!

April 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(13) Janet says:

I have have the most luck with Craigslist. I am in a wonderful relationship right now due to my search on there last summer. There are plenty of normal people on there, just trying to find each other. You do have to sift through the weeds though. Recently (?) CL had increased the anonymity for responders and posters, so that your email address does not reveal itself, they channel through CL. Whether you are selling tools or looking for a date~! Plenty of Fish, also a free site. Is absolutely awful. The men are trolling and not serious. Several friends have had very good luck with Senior People Meet. It’s not free though..

August 23, 2013 at 8:58 pm
(14) Shasta says:

Oh my! My ex bf, whom i met through a friend , met women through Craigslist. He’s a serial liar and hes not a good person at all. Craigslist is where he meets most of his gf.

September 11, 2013 at 7:03 pm
(15) Tori says:

Reading all these comments makes me feel better about myself.
I met alot of great people last summe on CL, just this summer I havent had any luck. I think its tuff to meet people for faith on CL, but its possible. I think Im going to try Match.com or Okcupid instead, its just so tuff on CL. I like the instant replies, but they all flake out within time. I would have a hard time telling my family I met someone on CL, if I lucked out. Ive noticed people on CL aren’t committed folks.

October 29, 2013 at 10:29 am
(16) YaYo says:

I have met people on craigslist.. I have had good and bad experiences from it. I moved to a big city in my early 20′s and didn’t know anyone so I figured I’d try it. Met a somewhat normal guy that I dated for a few months and it just didn’t work out, I met another guy I really liked but he turned out to be a weirdo. My advice from craigslist experience is this.. When you post an ad be specific in what you want, who you are and what your looking for from it. Only meet the guys that are willing to talk for awhile before meeting. The one’s that want to meet ASAP are only looking for sex. There are many normal people on craigslist, I consider myself very normal.. I also have had great experience finding jobs on craigslist.. Just always meet in person and trust your gut!

December 2, 2013 at 2:45 am
(17) Connie says:

I placed a ad on craiidslist looking for a long term relationship. I only went out with one guy. We dated for one yearend got married four months ago. He is the most wonderful man in the world, I am so lucky.

I was very cautious, drove myself, met in public places and didn’t let him know where I lived for about four months. I actually used to take wrong streets home in case he was following me.

I am a city girl and he is coutry but boy did it work. He is the sexiest man I know and I can’t believe no one gobbled him up. He is just so “normal.”
He goes to church, sings, plays softball, goes to work, watches his money and likes breasts. I am so in love.

The only thing that might have helped is the fact he was divorced and I was widowed and the fact he is one month six days older than me. We were 48 at the time we met.

Kind of embarrassing to tell the story but this was my first and only ad. As for him I think he had tried a few times dating from Craigslist.

Yes! I met the man of my dreams on Craigslist!

January 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm
(18) Lene says:

Omg my husband is liar! He meets women here on craiglist! In fact, he was in this website this morning and I’m sure he is meeting them right now. I’m getting a divorce

February 3, 2014 at 8:46 pm
(19) Adam says:

Im a gay man so im kind of in a disposition where its hard to meet other guys, tried all the dating sites and no one good in my area, so I had tried craigslist this past summer looking for a boyfriend. didn’t have much luck but tried again this past November, posted an ad looking to hang out maybe more and wasn’t really expecting anything good based on the past luck. weeded through all my responses and just as I was thinking to give up I got an email from a guy, I liked his picture, he liked mine and after an exhaustive phone conversation he sounded legit and nice and best of all very close to my house. I have been with him now for over 2 months and I think im falling in love! So yes, ive gotten super lucky from this experience, he is such a sweet guy, and very attractive too, basically the guy ive always been dreaming about. craigslist can be good if ou use your head and sift through all the weird responses, I think its more legit if your gay since its very hard to meet other guys if you don’t have many gay friends or anything like that.