1. People & Relationships

Bonny Albo

Would You Date a Guy In a Bromance?

By April 30, 2014

SpeedDate polled their users (of which 571 responded), asking the gents if they had a bromance, and the gals if they'd mind if their guy had a bromance while dating them. 14% of the men said they'd had or were having a bromance, almost half (47%) felt they had close friendships but they weren't that close, and the remainder (37%) were completely against the concept, stating they were purely romantics, not "bromantics". As for the ladies? Almost half (45%) didn't see an issue with their partner having a close same-sex friendships, 32% thought it would be okay but a tad weird, but almost a quarter (23%) were opposed to the idea, wanting all of their partner's romantic intentions focused on them.

What about you? Have you had a bromance? Has it affected your dating relationship? Would you date someone who was having a bromance? Why or why not?

Related: Is It a Bromance or Romance?, Celebrity Bromances, Romantic Date Ideas, Romantic Text Messages.

Comments
April 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm
(1) max havelaar says:

Hey this is about me! I’ve been in a ‘Bromance’ once, a highly confusing experience, he a might-be-gay, me not so much. But hey I lived. Telling about this to lady friends got me reactions from disgusted to ‘horny’ Mzzz I don’t know, it’s a matter of taste I presume?

April 9, 2013 at 12:34 am
(2) bill crisp says:

it wil not let me read my email can you help me

April 11, 2013 at 11:51 am
(3) Tony says:

Fine. So? It’s a totally chemical thing. (And I’m as hetero as they come.) Some people, regardless of gender, can be fully harmonious with another and, more often than not, that relates to which season the individual is born in. With some, the chemical compatibilities are so electrifying, it’s uncanny. But, hey, some girls have this sort of relationship all the time, even to the level of hetero hugging and kissing! So rest easy. It’s okay.

April 11, 2013 at 6:41 pm
(4) Pulseguy says:

What is a bromance? I always thought it meant having a male friend, if you’re a guy, that you do an awful lot with. But, it seems from posters they seem to be implying it is a bisexual relationship.

Most women, in my experience, are not so okay with a guy being bi. For good reasons as the consequences could be deadly. But, also, guys have to be guys, not bi’s.

April 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm
(5) Jennie H says:

@Pulseguy, yes I think a bromance means having a close, loving relationship with another guy that is not actively sexual. Some women are uneasy with it because they want to be their guy’s main emotional support. Women are used to guys having friendships that are not so emotional. On the other hand, if he needs that kind of emotional intimacy outside of his marriage or relationship, better it’s a close friendship with another guy than with a woman IMO :)

April 28, 2013 at 11:58 am
(6) Katrina says:

From what the link says about “bromance” it seems it is simply a new word for a close friendship…. and a sign of the times that it’s becoming more acceptable for guys to be emotionally close to each other (as women are). People need to allow their partners to have close friends…. and close friends with people of the opposite sex should be acceptable as well (although probably even a lot of young people, even nowadays, would disagree with me on that one!) Also when you first start to day someone you can’t expect to instantly be first priority in their lives…. although you’d want that to eventually change!